Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

armoured combat

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

armoured combat

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun May 4th, 2014, 8:56 am

One of the better instructional videos on armoured combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBStjSv1NZQ

Note that his full plate armour does not slow him down in the least.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Tue May 13th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I'm going to take a good look at this when I'm back home today - sounds interesting!

Does anyone know if there is a way of favouriting posts so you can refer to them later?
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue May 13th, 2014, 1:31 pm

[quote=""marklord""]I'm going to take a good look at this when I'm back home today - sounds interesting!

Does anyone know if there is a way of favouriting posts so you can refer to them later?[/quote]

In Thread Tools at the top you can e-mail the thread, so I guess you could e-mail it to yourself? You can also subscribe and get instant e-mail notification, but then you'll only get a notification if someone else replies.

I'm not aware of any other way to favourite a thread, but perhaps someone else knows?

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue May 13th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Ha ha, after your post I clicked on the link and its to the wrong video (it's an old pole axe one of mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg

here's the right link. Notice his hold on the sword, one hand mid-blade. How often have you seen that style depicted (outside of authentic period fighting manuals)?

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed May 14th, 2014, 10:54 am

I think the subscribe option is the best one - not ideal though. Thx.

I watched the video - although I'm not sure if its the right one - neither of the combatants are wearing armour?

One thing that struck me is that during the sparring both combatants move forward and back quite a lot - this would be possible if fighting one against one or in a skirmish, but in a mass battle with lots of other people around movement would be quite restricted. I would imagine that fact would alter combat style quite a bit?
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Latest novels:
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Wed May 14th, 2014, 11:12 am

Mark I know what you mean about fighting styles in mass combat.

The Leeds Armoury has a Helmet that has sound and vision blasting at you.
How anyone could fight with the restricted view and sensory overload is beyond me.
Only thing I could think of was maybe they fought at a slower pace but that can't be
No one fights in slow motion.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed May 14th, 2014, 6:24 pm

[quote=""marklord""]I think the subscribe option is the best one - not ideal though. Thx.

I watched the video - although I'm not sure if its the right one - neither of the combatants are wearing armour?

One thing that struck me is that during the sparring both combatants move forward and back quite a lot - this would be possible if fighting one against one or in a skirmish, but in a mass battle with lots of other people around movement would be quite restricted. I would imagine that fact would alter combat style quite a bit?[/quote]

Sorry Mark, this is the one i meant to post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg

It's called Gladiatoria, a manuscript of middle ages techniques.

the one you saw is just a sparring match for fun. no technique involved.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed May 28th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Had a chance to watch the video now - remarkable - the armour actually does look like it's fairly light - although I noticed that the instructor mentioned that if you become unbalanced it felt heavy - so probably part of the technique is to unbalance an opponent and then take advantage.

Also you're right about the use of swords - the slashing with swords against plate armour you see in moves is complete nonsense - worth remembering for fiction writers!

Latest novels:

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu May 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm

great instruction, isn't it? You can see his movements aren't restricted by the armour, but the different weight distribution can cause problems if you aren't used to it.

The techniques are so radically different from what we've been led to accept about swordplay. Like you say, slashing plate mail would be a waste of strength. So much more technique and leverage was involved.

The instructor here tours Central Europe on occasion. I'm planning on attending one of his sessions later this year. Looking forward to it.

Return to “General Discussion”