Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's May, what are you reading?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat May 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

A Study in Ashes by Emma Jane Holloway
Final installment in her Baskerville Affair trilogy

I like to think of Evelina's Uncle Sherlock speaking with Jeremy Brett's voice in the story!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 25th, 2014, 12:07 pm

The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance that Changed the World by Greg King and Sue Woolmans (NF)

The 100th anniversary of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife is on June 28, 2014.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun May 25th, 2014, 4:55 pm

I just finished Cy in Chains a YA book. It was AMAZING. I know YA isn't everyone's bag but it was well done.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun May 25th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Not HF. I gave 5 undeserved hours to the Husband's Secret. It was a book group read. And then I bailed.
I rarely DNF bookgroup reads, no matter how awful they are, but this one deserved every one-star review it was given. Who can have given it all those four and five stars?

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon May 26th, 2014, 3:34 am

Cold weather (well its getting cold in Australia) means one thing. Time to read gothic novels.
In this case I have just finished Dragonwyck by Anya Seton. I first read this when I was 16 and loved it.
Some years later, I bought it off Amazon and re-read the story.
The most vivid part is the characterisation of the lead male character Nicholas Van Ryn who overshadows all other figures.
I forgot how much I loved reading Anya Seton.
She and Jean Plaidy were my favourite historical authors when I was a teenager.
Although now I have to say that in my opinion, Seton is a much better writer. She is able to convincingly illustrate the mid 14th century (Katherine), early colonial America (The Winthrop Woman) and Tudor England (Green Darkness) in ways that Plaidy never did.
The only quibble I had with Dragonwyck was the afterword written by PG.
Last edited by SCW on Mon May 26th, 2014, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 26th, 2014, 2:40 pm

[quote=""SCW""]Cold weather (well its getting cold in Australia) means one thing. Time to read gothic novels.
In this case I have just finished Dragonwyck by Anya Seton. I first read this when I was 16 and loved it.
Some years later, I bought it off Amazon and re-read the story.
The most vivid part is the characterisation of the lead male character Nicholas Van Ryn who overshadows all other figures.
I forgot how much I loved reading Anya Seton.
She and Jean Plaidy were my favourite historical authors when I was a teenager.
Although now I have to say that in my opinion, Seton is a much better writer. She is able to convincingly illustrate the mid 14th century (Katherine), early colonial America (The Winthrop Woman) and Tudor England (Green Darkness) in ways that Plaidy never did.
The only quibble I had with Dragonwyck was the afterword written by PG.[/quote]

I hate those afterwards,forewards that PG wrote.

Have you read The Shivering Sands by Plaidy/Holt? Very creepy.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon May 26th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Finished Nero: The End of a Dynasty by Miriam Griffin--a good research book, not a popular biography (I had to pay "text book" rates for it). Starting on an early reader: The Normans: From Raiders to Kings and another research book, but don't know which one. You can always tell I'm in fiction writing mode when my reading is heavily non-fiction. When I'm writing non-fiction it goes the other way. :)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon May 26th, 2014, 3:29 pm

The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance that Changed the World by Greg King and Sue Woolmans
My book group was discussing books about WWI and this came up several times. Must read it. Right now, I am reading another book that was discussed called The Englishman's Daughter, about four English soldiers who were trapped behind enemy lines at the start of WWI (its NF, but reads like a novel). Interesting, tho I think the author is padding the book by repetition

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Mon May 26th, 2014, 4:45 pm

the forgotten legion by Ben Kane,enjoying it so far

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon May 26th, 2014, 4:58 pm

I am busily reading through the Elly Griffith Ruth Galloway series. I had bought the first book in the series, but it didn't grab me at the time. Now I am gobbling up these books! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Return to “General Discussion”