Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? March 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 21st, 2014, 3:42 am

Posted by Brenna
Now attempting to read and enjoy Hereward by James Wilde
Would definitely recommend James Aitcheson's Tancred series as by far and away the best of the post-Conquest bunch...

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri March 21st, 2014, 2:43 pm

I just finished a re-read of Stella Riley's The Black Madonna and am getting ready to start a re-read of A Splendid Defiance. This is all in preparation for reading A Garland of Straw. I realized after I bought AGoS that I'd need to re-read the other books to refresh my memory (there are quite a few cross-over characters between the three books). My memory doesn't stretch very far these days, I'm afraid!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 21st, 2014, 3:01 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I just finished a re-read of Stella Riley's The Black Madonna and am getting ready to start a re-read of A Splendid Defiance. This is all in preparation for reading A Garland of Straw. I realized after I bought AGoS that I'd need to re-read the other books to refresh my memory (there are quite a few cross-over characters between the three books). My memory doesn't stretch very far these days, I'm afraid![/quote]

I read A Garland of Straw first since that was the only SR I could get my hands on at the time. Loved it, but I definitely felt like I has the last person to enter the room at times.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri March 21st, 2014, 10:24 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Brenna

Would definitely recommend James Aitcheson's Tancred series as by far and away the best of the post-Conquest bunch...[/quote]

If only I had access to then.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat March 22nd, 2014, 3:42 pm

Finished Queen's Gambit and was underwhelmed--probably just my jaded attitude toward Tudor books. Pulled two more books off my TBR shelf: The People of the River for my commute and Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland for the bedside.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 22nd, 2014, 8:30 pm

Working my way through Douglas Jackson's Gaius Valerius Verrens series set in the Roman Empire during Nero's reign. Standard historical military adventure, but very readable.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun March 23rd, 2014, 8:22 am

Why Kings Confess by C.S. Harris
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun March 23rd, 2014, 2:48 pm

A King's Ransom by Sharon Kay Penman
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 23rd, 2014, 3:29 pm

Finished Astoria by Peter Stark, about John Jacob Astor's attempt to start a colony/fur trading enterprise in the Pacific NW. Very different from what I expected
, but some very compelling reading for the most part (there was some info dumping here and there, but it was non-fiction).

Have two going, So Big by Edna Ferber and The Winding Stair by Daphne du Maurier. Non-fiction about Sir Francis Bacon, it begins as Elizabeth dies and James I takes the throne. I just noticed there's also Golden Lads that sounds interesting. Description from Goodreads page:
Prior to the publication of this biography, the elusive Anthony Bacon was merely glimpsed in the shadow of his famous younger brother, Francis. A fascinating historical figure, Anthony Bacon was a contemporary of the brilliant band of gallants who clustered round the court of Elizabeth I, and he was closely connected with the Queen's favourite, the Earl of Essex. He also worked as an agent for Sir Francis Walsingham, the Queen's spymaster, living in France where he became acquainted with Henri IV and the famous essayist Michel de Montaigne. It was in France that du Maurier discovered a secret that, if disclosed during Bacon's lifetime, could have put an end to his political career ...Du Maurier did much to shed light on matters that had long puzzled historians, and, as well as a consummate exercise in research, this biography is also a strange and fascinating tale.
Might have to get a copy out from the library. BTW, these two and other du Mauriers are now available as ebook.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon March 24th, 2014, 6:43 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I read A Garland of Straw first since that was the only SR I could get my hands on at the time. Loved it, but I definitely felt like I has the last person to enter the room at times.[/quote]

I polished this off today. I'm glad I re-read the other two books because I know I would have spent much of my time trying to remember details and the rather large cast of characters (fictional and historical).

According to the author's website, she's working on sequels (quote below is from the comments section of her wordpress page):
Yes – Ashley Peverell is the hero of The King’s Falcon with supporting roles for Eden Maxwell and Francis Langley. Assuming I get that far – and hoping that I do! – Eden’s book would be the next one along. You’re not the only one who would like to see him get together with Phoebe but I’m making no promises.
I think I'd enjoy Ashley's story. I hope she does, indeed, get around to finishing Eden's story. He deserves a little bit of much delayed happiness! And upon further perusal I see she has a preview of it on her blog:
http://stellariley.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... gs-falcon/
Last edited by Ludmilla on Mon March 24th, 2014, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”