Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? March 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri March 7th, 2014, 11:16 pm

I envy everyone who has King's Ransom already. Let me now how it is. ;)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 8th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Got two going, My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart (a re-read) and Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 10th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I'm just about to start The Winter Folly by Lulu Taylor.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon March 10th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Just finished Why Kings Confess by CS Harris. This is the 9th in the series. It's a decent contribution to the series, but I wouldn't rate as one of my favorites. I'm glad the author finally advanced the timeline a little (by roughly four months). This time the mystery involves the sad fate of the French Dauphin.

One of the characters that turned up in this investigation was a French courtier who liked to dress as a woman. This reminded me of the Chevalier d'Eon (whose life, I think, exemplies how truth can be stranger than fiction). Now I'm racking my brain trying to remember what historical (or maybe it was historical romance) where d'Eon played a role. I know I read one with d'Eon not too long ago, and it's driving me crazy trying to remember.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu March 13th, 2014, 1:29 am

[quote=""Susan""]City of Jasmine by Deanna Raybourn, but I have Sharon Penman's A King's Ransom waiting in the wings. I got my autographed copy last night!

Image[/quote]
Oh, how I wish I lived closer to large cities! What a great photo! I have downloaded my copy on my Kobo and re-read the last part of Lionheart so that I am once again immersed in the time and people. :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu March 13th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re-reading Lionheart as I am picking up Ransom from the library tomorrow! So excited!!!
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu March 13th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. This one is a category buster--a completely made up world, vaguely Early Renaissance setting, no magic or mythical creatures, and women have a much more equal status than our own history warrants. The best I can come up with is a fantasy without any traditional fantasy elements. The story is Game Of Thrones-like, in that it is a brutal, multiple point of view/setting book, which likes to torture its characters and readers. It's also fat--890 pages--which speeds by in page-turning action. A satisfying read. (Warning: the book is filled with graphic physical violence and the occasional sex scene, so people with more delicate sensibilities beware.)

Put aside Queen's Gambit to finish Best Served Cold and will go back to that one. Haven't settled on my commuting book yet.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu March 13th, 2014, 5:23 pm

I have started Ransom! Yay for libraries!
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 13th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Finished Year of the Horsetails (excellent military HF on the Mongols.) Now reading the Red Lily Crown, Elizabeth Loupas' latest opus. Good so far.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 14th, 2014, 4:17 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]Oh, how I wish I lived closer to large cities! What a great photo! I have downloaded my copy on my Kobo and re-read the last part of Lionheart so that I am once again immersed in the time and people. :) [/quote]

I saw her Monday night, what a lovely talk she gave and the stories she told. At the beginning she acknowledged two of her FB fans who traveled very far to come and see her. One from Alaska and the other from Vancouver (which I assume was Vancouver B.C., since her next stop was Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA is a short hop on the other side of the Columbia River.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “General Discussion”