Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? March 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon March 24th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Just started reading "The Night Flower" by Sarah Stovell. ("A Romany girl and a disgraced governess are transported as convicts to Tasmania in this
hugely entertaining Victorian gothic.")

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu March 27th, 2014, 3:07 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Devoured Ransom and yes, tissues were needed. Now attempting to read and enjoy Hereward by James Wilde which is difficult as I can't find the storyline and there appears to be a fantasy element that is just thrown in there for kicks. I do hope it gets better as this (and the respective sequel) were brought back from England by my mother...[/quote]
Oh, yes indeed tissues were needed!! I stayed up late night after night reading Ransom. I am sorry to bid "adieu" to Richard et al......what an adventure! I liked how Berengaria was characterized in both of the novels..I've always felt a tie to her for some reason, although she was so devout and devoted to Richard, while I've become a pagan and had four husbands! Maybe I'm attracted to a person who is my complete opposite?? lol

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri March 28th, 2014, 12:50 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]Oh, yes indeed tissues were needed!! I stayed up late night after night reading Ransom. I am sorry to bid "adieu" to Richard et al......what an adventure! I liked how Berengaria was characterized in both of the novels..I've always felt a tie to her for some reason, although she was so devout and devoted to Richard, while I've become a pagan and had four husbands! Maybe I'm attracted to a person who is my complete opposite?? lol[/quote]

I thought her explanation of why and how Richard and Berengaria's marriage slowly detierioted after his confinement. Can't believe the saga is over
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri March 28th, 2014, 1:07 am

Still reading A King's Ransom and I think it will take me a while to finish it. I am really getting into it now, but having to get up at 5AM makes it difficult to read much at night. Misfit warned about the weight of the book and as I read mostly on the Kindle, it's A LOT heavier than holding a Kindle!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri March 28th, 2014, 5:48 am

Still reading Ransom too. Maybe I will finish it during spring break.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 28th, 2014, 9:35 am

Just started "Mistress of Mellyn" by Victoria Holt.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri March 28th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I'm on a long train journey, and just started Silken Threads by Patricia Ryan.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 28th, 2014, 2:34 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Still reading A King's Ransom and I think it will take me a while to finish it. I am really getting into it now, but having to get up at 5AM makes it difficult to read much at night. Misfit warned about the weight of the book and as I read mostly on the Kindle, it's A LOT heavier than holding a Kindle![/quote]

I have the ARC in trade paperback and that was pretty heavy. Even after propping it on a pillow in my lap, I still needed one hand to hold the left side open. My dodgy elbow suffered greatly. Kitteh was unhappy since the book was larger than the usual books she shares the pillow-on-the-lap with. ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat March 29th, 2014, 2:00 pm

I'm just about to start The Golden Tulip by Rosalind Laker.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 29th, 2014, 2:35 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I have the ARC in trade paperback and that was pretty heavy. Even after propping it on a pillow in my lap, I still needed one hand to hold the left side open. My dodgy elbow suffered greatly. Kitteh was unhappy since the book was larger than the usual books she shares the pillow-on-the-lap with. ;) [/quote]

I like to read in bed, but last night I decided that I cannot do that anymore with A King's Ransom.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “General Discussion”