Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? March 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 15th, 2014, 10:03 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Search for a specific author, say Sharon Penman. Pull up all your library's options for Sharon. Scroll down to where it asks you to look for additional titles. Find any? Click on that book and look for the suggest purchase link and follow through. You can also opt to have an email sent and/or place a hold if they do pick it up. Got me in first position on he new Deanna Raybourn book, and Kearsley's Splendor Falls.[/quote]

Thank you! I'll try it out!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 15th, 2014, 11:27 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Thank you! I'll try it out![/quote]

Let me know how it goes. It usually takes a good couple of weeks before I get a notification.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 15th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Posted by emr
Btw bookdepository finally figured out that the currency conversions were giving different prices at their two webs and fixed it It has juggled all the books on my wishlist grrrr What a mess
Damn! I often got extra good deals by going for whichever website had the cheaper optiion :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 16th, 2014, 2:47 am

Now reading the posthumously published book Broken Road, the third book in Patrick Leigh Fermoors series of his travels as a young man in 1935 Europe. His other two works A Time for Gifts and Between Woods and Water were instant classics and his fans have been waiting several decades for this final volume. Im liking it, though you can tell that an older person is writing. Given that it was not complete at his death, its still quite readable thanks to his biographer Artemis Cooper and travel writer Colin Thurbon, and still has the author's voice.

Also finished Where'd You Go Bernadette? , a very quirky, funny yet at the same time sad book about a young girl trying to find where her mother disappeared to.
Last edited by Ash on Sun March 16th, 2014, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun March 16th, 2014, 8:04 am

[quote=""annis""]
Damn! I often got extra good deals by going for whichever website had the cheaper optiion :) [/quote]

Me too ;) I received a trillion emails saying "book price drop alert" but they are all false. They have rounded up not down. Oh well.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun March 16th, 2014, 9:57 am

Reading "Harvest" by Jim Crace. A little slow-going but very well written. It's an odd one because you never find out exactly where or when it's set - just some remote English village some time before industrialisation, probably 16th-early 18th century?

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sun March 16th, 2014, 10:42 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Let me know how it goes. It usually takes a good couple of weeks before I get a notification.[/quote]

That may depend in the library or their budget; I recommended a bunch of books on Overdrive a couple of months ago now and still haven't heard anything :(

I am in the UK though, I hear the US library service is rather superior to ours what with free interstate loans and such. Here I pay 50p just to reserve a (dead tree) book or get it sent to my nearest library from another one across town. A loan from another county's library was a few pounds last time I checked.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun March 16th, 2014, 12:42 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]That may depend in the library or their budget; I recommended a bunch of books on Overdrive a couple of months ago now and still haven't heard anything :(

I am in the UK though, I hear the US library service is rather superior to ours what with free interstate loans and such. Here I pay 50p just to reserve a (dead tree) book or get it sent to my nearest library from another one across town. A loan from another county's library was a few pounds last time I checked.[/quote]

The fees for libraries in the USA vary. My town's library charges 25 cents, what we call a quarter, (about 15p, I think) to reserve a book and for an inter-library loan within New Jersey, a very nominal fee. New Jersey has a pretty good interstate connection. I could use my library card at about 180 other libraries throughout the state. However, I have only used it at the library in a neighboring town. An out of state loan would cost a flat $3.00 for postage and the 25 cents fee (1.95 pounds).
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 16th, 2014, 4:49 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]That may depend in the library or their budget; I recommended a bunch of books on Overdrive a couple of months ago now and still haven't heard anything :(

I am in the UK though, I hear the US library service is rather superior to ours what with free interstate loans and such. Here I pay 50p just to reserve a (dead tree) book or get it sent to my nearest library from another one across town. A loan from another county's library was a few pounds last time I checked.[/quote]

I have never been asked to pay a fee for interlibrary unless the lending library wants it. That has happened once, and I've requested a lot of them. My county buys just about everything except for self pub and very small press. Time to stop at my branch and kiss the ground it's built on again ;)

Just started The Enchanted Land by Jude Devareaux.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun March 16th, 2014, 10:09 pm

It's wierd what KCLS has appproved of my overdrive suggestions and what it hasn't :p

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “General Discussion”