Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? February 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu February 6th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Just started... The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick

If I end up fancying a 12th/ 13th century knight, I blame you guys. And EC, of course.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri February 7th, 2014, 5:38 am

I really enjoyed The Greatest Knight. Right now, I'm reading an ARC of Sandra Gulland's The Shadow Queen, and enjoying that too. Just finished The Bridge on the Drina by Nobel prizewinner Ivo Andric (see review) - a must-read for anyone interested in Bosnia.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri February 7th, 2014, 1:54 pm

That Sweet and Savage Land by Emma Drummond.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri February 7th, 2014, 5:55 pm

I am reading The English Girl by Margaret Leroy. It takes places in the late 1930's Vienna. Very well done, IMHO! I am thoroughly engrossed! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat February 8th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Rosa by Jonathan Rabb. Rosa is Rosa Luxemburg but she's alredy dead when the book starts and this is a mystery so I don't think this is really about her.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 8th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I'm reading Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby. The author, who had previously befriended me, contacted me via Goodreads offering a free Ebook saying that she thought I would enjoy it. I haven't heard of her before. Has anyone read any of her books? I have to say I'm enjoying it so far, it's an easy read.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 8th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Posted by Berengaria
I am reading The English Girl by Margaret Leroy. It takes places in the late 1930's Vienna.
I was eyeing this one up at the library the other day and thought it looked interesting.

Have been heavily involved in some (ongoing) historical research lately, so not reading as much as usual, but currently reading Knights of the Hawk, the latest in James Aitcheson's excellent series set in post-Conquest England. Interesting because they are written from a Norman POV rtaher than the usual English one. This time hero Tancred is in the vanguard of the Norman attack on the Isle of Ely - stronghold of the English rebels led by Hereward the Wake.

Also reading (NF) Official and Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover by Anthony Summers. Very scary stuff!

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat February 8th, 2014, 8:44 pm

After finishing A King's Ransom I started on The Historian. I've had the book for years but haven't gotten around to it. I'm about 40 pages in and if it doesn't get better in 20 or so pages I'm giving up. A story about people researching a fascinating topic isn't doing it for me as much as a story about the interesting topic itself would.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 8th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Finished the Emma Drummond book. Good, but not her best. Just starting The Winter Bride by Carola Salisbury. 19C gothic set in Cornwall. A couple of my GR friends rated it highly.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat February 8th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Besides the EC novel, I'm reading Cleopatra- A Life by Stacy Schiff
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “General Discussion”