Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? January 2014

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 25th, 2014, 6:16 pm

[quote=""Divia""]
I'm reading Revolution now by Jennifer Donnelly. I hate it. I can't stand the MC. I loved her Northern Light book but this one feels like a wall banger. I'd stop but its for YA book club. grrrr[/quote]
Ah yes, the joys of book clubs! But I must say, it has been useful for me as a writer to suffer through books that I would have wall-banged in a minute if I were reading only for my own enjoyment. And in grinding through prose I hate, I have learned many a useful lesson about what NOT to do. At least not for my readers, whom I must by default assume are not too far from my own tastes.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon January 27th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Back to Lady Julia Grey with Silent on the Moors by Deanna Raybourn
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue January 28th, 2014, 12:14 am

The Victorian Parlor.

Likin it so far. I was laughing at the Victorians and their need for clutter.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 28th, 2014, 2:50 am

Finished Robert Lyndon's Imperial Fire. Wondered how this sequel would go seeing Hawk Quest took 10 years to write and this one only 2, but it comes up trumps - Lyndon's ability to recreate time and place is superb. What a cliff-hanger ending, though! Definitely another book to follow, I'd say :)

Now reading Charlotte Bett's Spice-Merchant's Wife.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Tue January 28th, 2014, 3:44 am

I've moved to the early Norman period and have been reading Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bower. It's about the creation of the Bayeux Tapestry, "wrapped" around a love affair between one of the embroiderers (sp? correct word?) and Odo, William's half-brother. It was an interesting read for a romantic soul such as myself; however, I don't know much about life in this period.
This book led me to The Handfasted Wife by Carol McGrath, about Edith Swan Neck, spouse of Harold Godwinson. Once again, I don't know how realistic the description of her life is (it begins in 1065, just before Edward the Confessor dies), but I'm enjoying it! I have Helen Hollick's two big novels gathering dust;I'm thinking I might begin the one about Emma.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue January 28th, 2014, 10:32 am

[quote=""Berengaria""] I have Helen Hollick's two big novels gathering dust;I'm thinking I might begin the one about Emma.[/quote]

I'm reading A Hollow Crown just now - it's very, very slow, wordy and clunkily written for the entire first half, but it has since started to pick up (I'm around page 500 of 864). Apparently the US edition, The Forever Queen has had a major edit though, I wish I was reading that version instead. Anyway, I'd say if you start it and are finding it slow, do persevere because it is educational and a good story, despite taking a while to gather pace!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue January 28th, 2014, 12:13 pm

I've just started Frederica by Georgette Heyer.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue January 28th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Mrs. Lincoln's Rival by Jennifer Chiaverini
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

red805
Avid Reader

Post by red805 » Wed January 29th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Finished the audiobook of The Golden Age by Gore Vidal. I guess it says a lot about him that he made himself a character in his own book. Anyway, it was a bit maddening to me that he created so much fictional dialog between early/mid 20th Century historical figures like Franklin & Eleanor Roosevelt. For some reason it seemed a lot of liberty to take. Then I thought, well, that's what authors do in writing about earlier time periods. But something about creating dialog for Roosevelt, Truman, Wilkie, etc. just turned me off. Anyway, very gossipy & a different type of read (listen) for me. Probably not going to pursue further Vidal books.

Also listened to The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd. At the END of the tape it disclosed it was an abridged version - aauuggghhhh! No wonder it didn't make sense. Why oh why would anyone want an abridged audiobook?

Hoping for better with my new cds of The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. Loved her Tipping the Velvet & Fingersmith, so looking forward to this one.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 30th, 2014, 3:01 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Mrs. Lincoln's Rival by Jennifer Chiaverini[/quote]

Oh! tell me how that is. I saw that and thought it interesting.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Discussion”