Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Spooky novels

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Spooky novels

Post by Nefret » Mon October 21st, 2013, 8:22 pm

So, my favourite time of year (Halloween) is coming up. I've decided I should read something to get me in the spirit.

Besides the classic horror novels. Preferably in a fantasy or historical setting. (Supernatural or paranormal mystery would be good too.)
Last edited by Nefret on Mon October 21st, 2013, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon October 21st, 2013, 11:54 pm

The first two books in Deborah Harkness' trilogy (third book is yet to be published): A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night. The second book definitely combines the supernatural and historical fiction.
http://deborahharkness.com/discovery-of-witches/

I've got The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker on hold at eLibrary NJ. Several people here have liked it.
http://www.helenewecker.com/the-golem-a ... the-jinni/
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 5:14 am

Oh, thanks. My library actually has those books. Will start with the Deborah Harkness one. Anymore ideas?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 11:35 am

I've just read From a Buick 8 by Stephen King - modernish as in 20thC, but I really enjoyed it.
Susan Hill's ghost novellas are always enjoyable. The Woman in Black is obviously her most favourite, but try The Mist in the Mirror.
I must be the only person who was bored out of their skull by A Discovery of Witches. A novel about Middle Class wish fulfillment I thought. As in what would a middle class person really love to do. Intellectual conversation, yoga classes, weekends away in luxury hotels with crisp sheets etc etc. Ugggh! Well not that I'd mind those, but I could see straight through to the manipulation and phhtt, I was done!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 11:45 am

[quote=""EC2""]I must be the only person who was bored out of their skull by A Discovery of Witches.[/quote]

No you aren't :D
In a similar line I did like The Fairwick Chronicles by Juliet Dark.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 12:38 pm

I read This House is Haunted by John Boyne earlier this month. It's a Victorian gothic ghost story. I enjoyed it - it's beautifully written.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 12:49 pm

[quote=""emr""]No you aren't :D
In a similar line I did like The Fairwick Chronicles by Juliet Dark.[/quote]

Just read the second Fairwick book (she's published under the name Carol Goodman in the UK) and thought it was meh; won't bother with the third.

I did enjoy Discovery of Witches though, haven't read the second one yet.

From a Buick 8 is pretty creepy.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 1:19 pm

I love to read Sarah Monette's The Bone Key this time of year. The stories are interconnected episodes in the life of a very introverted museum archivist in what feels like a late Victorian setting. Some of the stories involve ghosts or other supernatural elements, while others are more of a mystery with creepy ambience.

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 1:23 pm

One of my favorite horror stories is The Crime of Laura Sarelle, by "Joseph Fielding"--I put the author's name is quotes because it's one of many pseudonyms for this writer. It's an old book and I was going to say it would probably be hard to find, but imagine my surprise to find it on Gutenberg in Australia!

The Crime of Laura Sarelle

It might be a little slow for many readers today, but it's deliciously creepy and atmospheric. I love all the "Joseph Shearing" books. :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 1:40 pm

Thanks for that, Elizabeth! I was just checking the other day on Gutenberg-US to see if any of the Shearing books had been digitized. I didn't think about checking the Australian site. Cool!

Return to “General Discussion”