Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Whats your Cut-Off Point ?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Mon October 28th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Got agree. An author should be able to tell the story in 3 books tops.
The stotyline always falters and there's way too many characters to keep on top of.

Still thats me finished with Cornwell for a year at least.

K.B

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu November 7th, 2013, 2:45 am

Posted by kodiakbear
I had the same problem with Sidebottom it was all going well then the Irish Bodyguard displayed an act of trust that never would have happened
Sorry I didn't get your meaning here originally - was having a "duh" moment and read it as "Irish Guard" ... Yep, Sidebottom has the British isles pretty much covered with Ballista the Anglian nobleman and his loyal companions, the Irish bodyguard and the crabbit auld Scotsman. I suppose it might have stretched credibilty to throw a Welshman and a Cornishman into his retinue as well :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu November 7th, 2013, 4:52 am

[quote=""kodiakblair""]Got agree. An author should be able to tell the story in 3 books tops.
[/quote]

For most fantasy novels, I either only purchase if they are trilogies or pentalogies. And I most often stick to that for other genres.
Though there are exceptions.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu November 7th, 2013, 9:34 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by kodiakbear

Sorry I didn't get your meaning here originally - was having a "duh" moment and read it as "Irish Guard" ... Yep, Sidebottom has the British isles pretty much covered with Ballista the Anglian nobleman and his loyal companions, the Irish bodyguard and the crabbit auld Scotsman. I suppose it might have stretched credibilty to throw a Welshman and a Cornishman into his retinue as well :) [/quote]

I always wonder if it's a wry reference to all those jokes that begin, "An Irishman, an Englishman and a Scotsman go into a bar..."
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “General Discussion”