Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? July 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 5th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Annis, I read the blog. I remember the Tryon novels too, which were superb, but the titles have faded. I seem to recall three but I could be wrong. Burnt Offerings, Harvest Home, and The Other. I read them from the library, so I could have got them wrong. But all were chillers of the best sort. Dragon Under the Hill still trumps them though IMO.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon August 12th, 2013, 7:12 pm

[quote=""Susan""]
I read The Falcons of Fire earlier this year and this was my Goodreads mini-review: The exposition was too long for me, but there were a few Maitland surprises sprinkled in the latter part of the novel. I think this is my least favorite Maitland novel, but I enjoyed the Iceland part of the book. I had to change planes in Reykjavik going to and from Europe in 2011. Despite having only been in the airport, the plane ride over Iceland gave a breathtaking view of the volcanic landscape, so it was easy to picture the setting.[/quote]

So I persevered with this and I'm glad I did as it improved quite significantly about 60% through (according to my Kindle). Definitely NOT one of my favourite reads and I don't think it has ever taken me so long to read a single book - well over a month!!!
Last edited by princess on Mon August 12th, 2013, 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 6th, 2013, 2:19 am

Sorry for the HUGE delay in posting!:
July 2013 14
"Birdseye: The Adventures of a Curious Man" by Mark Kurlansky (243pgs, 2013) (7/2)
"Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World" by Matthew Goodman (513pgs, 2013) (7/9) (K L)
"Do Fish Drink Water?: Puzzling and Improbable Questions and Answers" by Bill McLain (295pgs, 1999) (7/10)*
"The Maid and the Queen: The Secret History of Joan of Arc" by Nancy Goldstone (257pgs, 2013) (7/11)
"The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things" by Paula Byrne (397pgs, 2013) (7/20) (K L)
"The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut's Mummy" by Jo Marchant (341pgs, 2013) (7/20) (K/L)
"A Dangerous Inheritance: A Novel of Tudor Rivals and the Secret of the Tower" by Alison Weir (619pgs, 2012) (7/22) (K L)
"Ladies of the Field: Early Women Archaeologists and Their Search for Adventure" by Amanda Adams (195pgs, 2010) (7/23)
"The Yard: The Metropolitan Murder Squard Mystery #1" by Alex Grecian (422pgs, 2012) (7/26)
"801 Things You Should Know: From Greek Philosophy to Today's Technology, Theories, Events, Discoveries, Trends, and Movements That Matter" by David Olsen (256pgs, 2013) (7/26) (K L)
"Cruising Attitude: Tales of Crashpads, Crew Drama, and Crazy Passengers at 35,000 Feet" by Heather Poole (232pgs, 2012) (7/29) (K L)
"Food: An Authoritative and Visual History and Dictionary of the Foods of the World" by Waverley Root (589pgs, 1980) (7/29)*
"The Great British Bobby: A History of British Policing from the 18th Century to the Present" by Clive Emsley (309pgs, 2010) (7/30)
"Queen Elizabeth in the Garden: A Story of Love, Rivalry, and Spectacular Gardens" by Trea Martyn (297pgs, 2008) (7/31) (K L)
Pages: 4965 - 354pgs aver (5 BF, 2 Own, 7 K L)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “General Discussion”