Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? July 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat July 27th, 2013, 8:46 pm

I'm reading Inferno, by Dan Brown.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat July 27th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I just bailed on PG's new book. Terrible writing, it seems she gets worse with each book.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat July 27th, 2013, 9:16 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I just bailed on PG's new book. Terrible writing, it seems she gets worse with each book.[/quote]

Is anything in that series worth reading? I tried, but gave up. And... The Boleyn Inheritance was good, right? I didn't imagine that?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat July 27th, 2013, 9:22 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Is anything in that series worth reading? I tried, but gave up. And... The Boleyn Inheritance was good, right? I didn't imagine that?[/quote]

Yes, sadly she can write good fiction when she tries, but apparently she only tried once!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat July 27th, 2013, 9:32 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Is anything in that series worth reading? I tried, but gave up. And... The Boleyn Inheritance was good, right? I didn't imagine that?[/quote]

The only one in this series I haven't tried was Kingmaker's Daughter. The rest...die in a fire bad. Her receptiveness is mind numbing. The Royal House of York mentioned more times in 50 pages than all the Melusines in the other books. Bess (Lizzie here) and Cecily are talking between themselves about Tomas Grey, "Mother's boy". Seriously?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Sat July 27th, 2013, 9:42 pm

York was mentioned that much? By somebody that really wanted you to know they were from that house? :rolleyes:
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat July 27th, 2013, 9:54 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]York was mentioned that much? By somebody that really wanted you to know they were from that house? :rolleyes: [/quote]

First person narrative, and constantly mentioning it. Plus how Royal they were.

I'm sleep deprived today, but why would Clarence's two kids be the "Warwick" children?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun July 28th, 2013, 12:18 am

If we're talking about George, Duke of Clarence, his son Edward was the 17th Earl of Warwick. He inherited the title through his mother Isabella, daughter of Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick ("the Kingmaker"). Why both sons would be "Warwick children", I'm not sure, apart from that maternal connection (he did have two daughters as well).

Just finished Mary Hooper's Falconer's Knot, a YA hist/myst set in Renaissance Italy. Plenty of atmosphere and engaging characters, but somehow came across as a bit trite and too conveniently HEA. It has the feel of a novel written for readers at the younger end of YA, but covers subjects like rather gruesome murders and adulterous relationships. I had the same problem with Hooper's Fallen Grace, a Victorian tale featuring the rise of the Victorian funeral industy, unmarried mothers and sexual abuse. Although well written, the style seemed too young for the topics covered.
Last edited by annis on Sun July 28th, 2013, 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun July 28th, 2013, 12:24 am

[quote=""annis""]If we're talking about George, Duke of Clarence, his son Edward was the 17th Earl of Warwick. He inherited the title through his mother Isabella, daughter of Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick ("the Kingmaker"). Why both children would be "Warwick children", I'm not sure, apart from that maternal connection.[/quote]

Thanks Annis. It was just odd the way Elizabeth (Woodville) referred to them in that manner. Perhaps just more head clubbing make sure the reader knows who they are :(

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Sun July 28th, 2013, 2:16 am

Started my re-read of When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman

Thought about getting Lady of the Rivers from library, but by the time I remembered it was already closed for the day. Oh well. :p
Last edited by Nefret on Sun July 28th, 2013, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “General Discussion”