Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? May 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

What Are You Reading? May 2013

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed May 1st, 2013, 12:53 pm

I'm reading Susan Bordo's The Creation of Anne Boleyn (NF).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed May 1st, 2013, 8:24 pm

Finishing up Mid-Maryland History, a compilation of short papers on regional history topics

While We Were Watching Downton Abbey by Wendy Wax
Four women who gather to watch the hit series in their condo building in Atlanta

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed May 1st, 2013, 8:34 pm

Still on Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 1:37 am

Still reading 'Insurrection.'...But I did peek at 'The Woman Upstairs.' sounds intriguing and I wonder if it is along the veins of 'Notes on a Scandal?' I might tackle that next.

Bec :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 6:38 am

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 9:09 am

I'm still ploughing through The First Princess of Wales by Karen Harper. It's been 10 days and I've just reached the half-way point - I can't believe the author kept up the story for so many pages! The storyline is getting more and more absurd, and the number of intended/attempted rapes of poor Joan is sky-high. I really can't get behind a relationship in which the man obsesses over the female for six years at this point, even in the heat of battle, thinking of no-one else, yet whenever he's within 10 feet of her he's trying to abduct and rape her (and she's able to fight him off)! Well, that's one of my many complaints, I should probably give up on it but I hate to leave a book unfinished. I really wish this story had stayed buried back in 1984.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 1:29 pm

The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber

I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet-I'm not really into figuring out "who done it" but the storyline keeps me interested.
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 2:22 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber

I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet-I'm not really into figuring out "who done it" but the storyline keeps me interested.[/quote]

I loved that story. Can't wait for more.

I'm reading The Turncoat by Donna Thorland (sp?). It's OK so far, but I'm having a hard time with the passive Quaker heroine turned spy - it's a bit of a stretch and the characters/story aren't really grabbing me enough to get past it. If it hadn't been rated so highly by several GR friends with similar tastes, I'd have chucked it already.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu May 2nd, 2013, 2:35 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]Still reading 'Insurrection.'...But I did peek at 'The Woman Upstairs.' sounds intriguing and I wonder if it is along the veins of 'Notes on a Scandal?' I might tackle that next.

Bec :) [/quote]
I'm curious about this book, too! I think I will add it to my "To Buy" list! It's received some good buzz!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri May 3rd, 2013, 9:55 pm

Finished Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell. Still working on The Song of Achilles.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “General Discussion”