Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri March 8th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Reading Wilbur Smith's Warlock. It didn't get very good reviews, but I'm enjoying it thus far.
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 9th, 2013, 2:16 am

[quote=""JaneConsumer""]I'm looking forward to reading this one. I like weird. I'll be interested to hear what you think when you're done.[/quote]

I'm a little more than 50% done. I thought the plot exposition was a bit slow, but this being a Maitland book and knowing how she likes to throw in the unexpected, I don't want to prejudge the book.
Last edited by Susan on Sat March 9th, 2013, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat March 9th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 9th, 2013, 6:36 pm

The Novice's Tale by Margaret Frazer
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat March 9th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Lady of Ashes by Christine Trent
This is her 4th novel.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 9th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Posted by Susan
The Novice's Tale by Margaret Frazer
Sorry to note recently that Margaret Frazer had lost her battle with cancer, so no more Sister Frevisse ever :(

Sharon Penman wrote a lovely In Memoriam for her here.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat March 9th, 2013, 9:27 pm

[quote=""annis""]

Sorry to note recently that Margaret Frazer had lost her battle with cancer, so no more Sister Frevisse ever :(

Sharon Penman wrote a lovely In Memoriam for her here.[/quote]

I've wanted to read Frazer's Sister Frevisse books for ages, and Frazer's untimely death spurred me on to read them. I had read Sharon's lovely tribute on her blog, but I'd like to know more about Frazer being a descendant of Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain. He had three daughters, only one married and had one daughter who had no children. Clemens did have siblings, so perhaps Frazer is a descendant of them.
Last edited by Susan on Sat March 9th, 2013, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon March 11th, 2013, 8:02 am

Well I've just discarded one of Jean Plaidys novels about Charles II. Can anyone recommend any books on this monarch?
I'm contemplating reading The Kingmakers Daughter by Philippa Gregory- has anyone read it?

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon March 11th, 2013, 10:54 am

Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth. Love the series, just finished watching series 2 finale....... tears, tears, tears!

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon March 11th, 2013, 10:56 am

[quote=""SCW""]Well I've just discarded one of Jean Plaidys novels about Charles II. Can anyone recommend any books on this monarch?
I'm contemplating reading The Kingmakers Daughter by Philippa Gregory- has anyone read it?[/quote]

The King's Touch by Jude Morgan

That was the first book that got me interested in Charles II.

With All My Heart by Margeret Campbell Barnes (OOP) about Catherine of Braganza

Return to “General Discussion”