Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? October 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri October 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm

After hearing Mandy Patakin's interview on NPR for the 25th anniversary of the movie Princess Bride, I decided I needed to read the book again. Still excellent. Decided to look at the Amazon reviews and was surprised by the 1 stars - really, that many people didn't get the joke? They wanted the Morgenstern unabridged edition? One person even claimed to have read it and said it was much better than Goodmans. Yikes

Re-reading Wolf Hall for a book group. This is my third time through and while the parts that moved me and made me laugh before still do their magic, I think it could have used an editor. That being said, Im not sure what parts would be taken out. So much of the book is important to explain the events in Cromwells life, and so much of the writing is such a delight to read that I suspect any edit would ruin the experience (btw I also read Bring Up The Bodies, a much shorter book, and just as good. Can't wait for the third one to come out!)

pixiedust
Scribbler

Post by pixiedust » Mon October 15th, 2012, 1:44 am

Mary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn Meyer

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon October 15th, 2012, 12:03 pm

The Forest Laird by Jack Whyte. I'm enjoying reading Wallace's story from the perspective of his cousin (although I don't know if his cousin is "real" yet).
Brenna

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon October 15th, 2012, 5:52 pm

I have started Alison Weir's A Dangerous Inheritance. So far, it's quite enjoyable! I'm looking forward to the Kate Plantagenet angle! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon October 15th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Reading an OOP - Harold of the English by Brenda Honeyman

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 16th, 2012, 2:18 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]I have started Alison Weir's A Dangerous Inheritance. So far, it's quite enjoyable! I'm looking forward to the Kate Plantagenet angle! :) [/quote]

Looking forward to that.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Tue October 16th, 2012, 3:48 am

Am reading Rebecca Lochlann's The Year-god's Daughter. Haven't decided yet how I feel about it. There are some historical errors that irk me a bit. I'm one of those readers who has a hard time about things like that, sort of like the princess and the pea.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue October 16th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Just started A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury by Edith Pargeter.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 17th, 2012, 8:45 am

I've just started "Something Borrowed" by Paul Magrs, UF set in Whitby.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed October 17th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Finished The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Schomer, a lovely read. I'll do a review soon. Taking up an ARC - Constantine the Emperor, biography by David Potter.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “General Discussion”