Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? October 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue October 9th, 2012, 2:38 pm

About half through with an ARC of Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer--a literary take on an imaginary meeting of Florence Nightingale and Gustave Flaubert when they both cruised the Nile. Wonderful character development and no plot.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu October 11th, 2012, 2:44 am

I am going to bed early so that I can finish my Sunne in Splendour I finished The Kingmaker's Daughter last night. Quite liked it as I have doubts about Richard's culpability in his nephews' deaths. Have to get reading in while I can.....new grand daughter is due in a few weeks! And I'm looking after an injured husband! :rolleyes:
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 11th, 2012, 3:14 am

Poseidon's Spear by Christian Cameron-- ahhhh, yet another CC feast for the lover of historical adventure :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 11th, 2012, 3:58 am

Still on Hawk Quest -- unputdownable!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 11th, 2012, 5:32 am

Posted by MLE
Still on Hawk Quest -- unputdownable!
I was seriously impressed with Hawkquest -- review here-- and hope the sequel Robert Lyndon is working on isn't 10 years in the making like HQ!

Enjoyed every minute of Poseidon's Spear - but dammit! What is it with the lack of copy-editing so rife in today's books, even ones produced by reputable publishers? Even Cameron's terrific storytelling can't stop me from gnashing my teeth when I encounter someone "sewing discord' ( though it is an intriguing image) and a few other similar bloopers are scattered through the story. To be fair, Poseidon's Spear is a very minor offender compared to some books I've read in recent times, but once you just never found this sort of mistake. Unfortunately it's rapidly becoming the norm. I find it unacceptable, but am I being unrealistic in expecting better? Perhaps I'm just a lone grumpy pedant crying for the good old days :)
Last edited by annis on Thu October 11th, 2012, 4:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu October 11th, 2012, 7:10 am

I thought Hawk Quesr was great, only a little dry in the romance department. Poseidon's with problems? uh... maybe he's trying to do too much after all.
Currently reading Mistwalker by Denise Lopes Heald sf with 2 problems: a tiny font and.... well it's commendable that the author has invented a entire slang for this planet but I don't understand a word.... **frustrated.
And reading Slash And Burn by Colin Cotterill. I hope this is not the last Siri...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 11th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Love Dr Siri :) Cotterill has written a couple of novels in a new series set in Vietnam, but I haven't taken to them quite as much as the Dr Siri ones.

I wouldn't blame Cameron for the odd error in his book (and they may not even be errors he himself made) - it's up to his publisher to make sure that they don't appear in print. I still think a lot of these published mistakes are the result of just running scripts through spell-check rather than using a copy-editor. It just annoys me because it jolts me out of a story when I come across one of these bloopers.
Last edited by annis on Thu October 11th, 2012, 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri October 12th, 2012, 3:56 am

Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 12th, 2012, 9:08 am

I'll be starting Quentins by Maeve Binchy tonight. A hopefully more pleasant tale than the somewhat sinister Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 12th, 2012, 11:17 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade[/quote]

I liked that one, Nefret.

I'm currently reading The Child Thief by Brom which is a dark reimagining of Peter Pan.

Return to “General Discussion”