Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? October 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 6th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Posted by EC
I am now reading John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk - literary but very readable indeed. I am loving it
Sounds excellent, EC- I will hunt it down :)

Currently reading Hall of Sparrows, by Beth Carsley Jones. Published in 1989, it's one of those novels which have become lost in the mists of time, but is a surprisingly good read. It's set during the Viking invasion of England in the reign of King Alfred of Wessex (Bernard Cornwell territory) and focuses on the difficult relationship between a Viking warrior and the Mercian noblewoman he captures and marries. It's not a conventional historical romance by any means, though. All the characters are well drawn and believable, and it's a realistic and vivid picture of life and conflict in a turbulent, violent period, much more historical adventure than the p/b blurb would lead you to believe. The h/b blurb is much more true to type. Don't be put off by the dismal cover, decorated by a misguided artist with a Viking warrior wearing a horned helmet - groan!

Edited to say that I've just spotted the p/b cover on GR and it is even worse- very classic HR, which doesn't give a true impression of this book at all. There was hint at the end that Hall of Sparrows might have a sequel, but if it was originally iintended it obviously never happened - pity. I found a postwhich suggests Beth Carsley Jones might be a pseudonym for Elizabeth Walker- anyone know?
Last edited by annis on Sun October 7th, 2012, 12:19 am, edited 7 times in total.

David Hill
Scribbler

Imperium by Robert Harris

Post by David Hill » Sun October 7th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I've just started Imperium, by Robert Harris, which is about Cicero and ancient Rome. I'm at page 100 and thoroughly enjoying the book.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 7th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Reading Midnight Marriage by Lucinda Brant. Lots of fun, and apparently the idea for the story came from a true one. Georgian era, arranged marriage when the children were barely at the age of consent, she's sent back to the nursery and he's off to spend a few years on travel.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun October 7th, 2012, 4:08 pm

[quote=""annis""]
Edited to say that I've just spotted the p/b cover on GR and it is even worse- very classic HR, which doesn't give a true impression of this book at all. There was hint at the end that Hall of Sparrows might have a sequel, but if it was originally intended it obviously never happened - pity. I found a postwhich suggests Beth Carsley Jones might be a pseudonym for Elizabeth Walker- anyone know?[/quote]

Coincidentally I believe it was that Yahoo group post that convinced me to order a copy - and when it showed up in the mail, with that unexpected pb cover, I did a double take! Wish I knew about the pseudonym.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun October 7th, 2012, 4:22 pm

I don't know, but I've read three of her books - Rowan's Mill, Voyage and The Court. It'll have been quite a few years ago now but as I remember it, I enjoyed them.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun October 7th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Read 2 while on the road in France
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Spirit Lens by Carol Berg

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 7th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Just starting Fields of Battle by Kate Alexander. WWII, French resistance. It looks like Alexander has written several historical novels, and from the spelling I'd guess they weren't first published in the US. Anyone familiar with her? Annis?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon October 8th, 2012, 1:29 am

I find it so hard to keep up with my reading these days because of this uni course I'm taking. A question....how do you plan your day when you are writing? I have all of these ideas in my head and I write them down, but can't seem to be able to organize my day accordingly. Any tips? Am presently reading I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson....nice, easy, quick! ;)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Mon October 8th, 2012, 3:44 am

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]
My niece is reading To Defy a King by the above ; ) Ms. Chadwick, and she is loving it! This is the first great hist fic she's ever read. She's fifteen. I feel like I have a little apprentice.[/quote]

I just finished that last week and loved it. Thanks to EC for another great one!

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon October 8th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Forever Amber
Brenna

Return to “General Discussion”