Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

what time period would you like to "spy" on?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun October 5th, 2008, 2:51 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]
I'd like to simply walk and walk through any medieval or early modern era market place and listen, smell, and touch all the different wares for sale. The entertainers and buskers would be a cool sight to see. Listening in on various conversations about daily happenings would keep my attention for quite awhile as well. What most would interest me would be to experience the smallest details that made up any past era and culture. No drama or war or mystery for me, just a chance to be there in a day in the life.[/quote]

Oh yes, but this is easy - all I have to do is read my favorite HF authors and I feel as if I am taking that walk! :)

I have a old friend who is into psychics and I think she's gone off the deep end with it. Its hard to us to have a conversation without her psychic's prophesies coming up every few minutes. I don't want to disparge her beliefs, and I do think that some people do have such powers, but some of the things she says are just bizarre. It also goes against my belief in free will - while I think seeing into the future is possible, knowing that makes you assume its going to be true and act accordingly. In my own life, I'd rather make my own future as much as possible.
Last edited by Ash on Sun October 5th, 2008, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sun October 5th, 2008, 3:00 pm

Hmm. Lots of choices for me. But the top three are...

a) I'd like to eavesdrop on Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin as they share a studio in Vincent's yellow house in Arles.
b) I'd like to take a walk through Athens in the time of Perikles: starting on the Akropolis, where they're building the Parthenon, down through the Agora to the potters' quarter, where I can listen to the vase painters chat amongst themselves and learn a few things about the trade that scholars today wish we knew. ;-)
c) I'd like to see my other historical man (tied with Vincent for #1), Alexander the Great. What does he really look like? Sound like? Act like?
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun October 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Experiencing the Medieval faires and watching John Marshall at a Tournament; doing his thing......Seeing Greek Fire in action....And walking the streets 12th Century London Towne....I would watch where I step and be very careful not walk under 2nd story windows...I would not drink the water....On 2nd thought maybe a couple of pints of mead or spiced wine.....

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Sun October 5th, 2008, 4:39 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]See who actually built the pyrmids, see who Jack the Ripper really was, what happened to Amelia Earhart, who killed the Black Dahlia, what happened to the Princes in the Tower. I could go on and on too.

SM[/quote]

whoa, could you really sit through a murder
with jack the ripper? i am so faint of heart.
and to know it's REAL would just make me sick.

intriguing tho, i must admit.
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Sun October 5th, 2008, 4:44 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I have a close friend with the psychic ability (for want of a better phrase) to tune into the people of the past and see their lives like a movie with all the senses involved. I regularly pop back via her gift to the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries. I record what she relays to me and I send transcripts to a historian and an archaeologist for verification. [/quote]

whoa! that's insane!

i'm like fox mulder, i want to believe.
haha! i don't always, but really, i think
the world is so big and mysterious -- there's
a lot more at work than we will every
fully understand with 10% of our puny little
brains. or however much of our brain we
use. =)

i am loving everyone's answers here!

and another one for me! i want to go to vienna
and watch KLIMT paint something. he is my
favorite artist.
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun October 5th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Ash, many of my relations too in Ukraine and Poland did not survive the Nazis and their local collaborators. Since rape was the "national sport" in that part of the world throughout the centuries, I suspect we may have some Tartar, Mongol, Turk, Russian, Ukrainian, and Iranian ancestors as well.

Which six degrees of separation are where?

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun October 5th, 2008, 6:24 pm

[quote=""xiaotien""]whoa, could you really sit through a murder
with jack the ripper? i am so faint of heart.
and to know it's REAL would just make me sick.

intriguing tho, i must admit.[/quote]

Well maybe not watch him while he's killing but see who he is after the fact, while he's getting away, I'd want to get a good look at him, and since he wouldn't be able to see me, I could even get in the carriage or transportation he was using.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun October 5th, 2008, 6:27 pm

I'd also want to be on the Titanic and go under the water to see what the iceberg did to it (since it's all make believe and we are "Ghosts", I wouldn't freeze or die in the water). I'd want to see how the people really acted when it was starting to be realized there weren't enough lifeboats and what were the band really playing, "Nearer My God To Thee", "Autumn" or something else entirely!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon October 6th, 2008, 2:35 pm

I think it might be fun to spy on the spymasters and other great intriguers - Walsingham, Warwick, and the like. Could be more intense than fun, though.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon October 6th, 2008, 3:40 pm

I'd want to take David Irving, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and others of that ilk and show them the Holocaust in action.
Not that even that would probably actually get them to change their views.

Return to “General Discussion”