Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2014 Edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat May 24th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Grimm's Last Fairytale by Haydn Middleton
Wow, I read this ages ago, really liked it. wonder why they are reprinting it

Looking forward to reading ECs new one!
Last edited by Ash on Sat May 24th, 2014, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat May 24th, 2014, 11:13 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]There is a sequel to Innocent Traitor? Also... when is the Michelle Moran book out in the US?[/quote]

I couldn't find a US release date for it, it might not have one yet.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun May 25th, 2014, 4:59 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]The Last Queen of India by Michelle Moran
UK: April 2, 2015

1857, India.

At nineteen years old, Sita is the shining star of Queen Lakshmi of India's imperial guard, having pledged herself to a life of celibacy in the name of protecting the young ruler.

When Sita agrees to train Lakshmi in the art of military combat, a close friendship develops between the two women. But trouble soon threatens - Lakshmi's court is dangerously divided and rumours are rife that the country is at risk.

Meanwhile, in London, advisors to Queen Victoria are looking to extend the power of the Commonwealth, and India is coveted as the next jewel in the imperial crown.

In the ensuing battle, will the bond between Lakshmi and Sita be broken for ever?

Image[/quote]

I am perplexed why an American author has her book debut in the UK first and then here second. :(

I am really looking forward to this one. I did a college paper on Lakshmi way back in the day.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon May 26th, 2014, 12:03 am

[quote=""Divia""]I am perplexed why an American author has her book debut in the UK first and then here second. :(

I am really looking forward to this one. I did a college paper on Lakshmi way back in the day.[/quote]

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either. (And I still want her to do more Egypt novels.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun June 1st, 2014, 1:03 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either. (And I still want her to do more Egypt novels.)[/quote]

Me too, but I dont see that happening anytime soon. I'm wondering what her next one will be. I think India isinteresting cause it has a lot of untapped stories. But there were only three Egypt novels, correct?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

DanielAWillis
Reader

Immortal Revelation

Post by DanielAWillis » Sun June 1st, 2014, 1:20 pm

I am happy to report that Immortal Revelation, the conclusion in my Chronicles of the Mages trilogy, will be released on October 25th.

This one will be exploring the origins of Christianity, development of the Roman Catholic Church, and suppression of prior religions.

Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Mon June 2nd, 2014, 6:01 pm

I guessing a follow up to House of Silk:

Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz
UK: October 23, 2014
US: January 20, 2015

Sherlock Holmes is dead.

Days after Holmes and his arch-enemy Moriarty fall to their doom at the Reichenbach Falls, Pinkerton agent Frederick Chase arrives in Europe from New York. The death of Moriarty has created a poisonous vacuum which has been swiftly filled by a fiendish new criminal mastermind who has risen to take his place.

Ably assisted by Inspector Athelney Jones of Scotland Yard, a devoted student of Holmes's methods of investigation and deduction, Frederick Chase must forge a path through the darkest corners of the capital to shine light on this shadowy figure, a man much feared but seldom seen, a man determined to engulf London in a tide of murder and menace.

Author of the global bestseller THE HOUSE OF SILK, Anthony Horowitz once more breathes life into the world created by Arthur Conan Doyle. With pitch-perfect characterisation and breath-taking pace, Horowitz weaves a relentlessly thrilling tale which teases and delights by the turn of each page.

The game is afoot...

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Mon June 2nd, 2014, 6:09 pm

The Story of Land and Sea by Katy Simpson Smith
August 26, 2014

Set in a small coastal town in North Carolina during the waning years of the American Revolution, this incandescent debut novel follows three generations of family—fathers and daughters, mother and son, master and slave, characters who yearn for redemption amidst a heady brew of war, kidnapping, slavery, and love.

Drawn to the ocean, ten-year-old Tabitha wanders the marshes of her small coastal village and listens to her father’s stories about his pirate voyages and the mother she never knew. Since the loss of his wife Helen, John has remained land-bound for their daughter, but when Tab contracts yellow fever, he turns to the sea once more. Desperate to save his daughter, he takes her aboard a sloop bound for Bermuda, hoping the salt air will heal her.

Years before, Helen herself was raised by a widowed father. Asa, the devout owner of a small plantation, gives his daughter a young slave named Moll for her tenth birthday. Left largely on their own, Helen and Moll develop a close but uneasy companionship. Helen gradually takes over the running of the plantation as the girls grow up, but when she meets John, the pirate turned Continental soldier, she flouts convention and her father’s wishes by falling in love. Moll, meanwhile, is forced into marriage with a stranger. Her only solace is her son, Davy, whom she will protect with a passion that defies the bounds of slavery.

In this elegant, evocative, and haunting debut, Katy Simpson Smith captures the singular love between parent and child, the devastation of love lost, and the lonely paths we travel in the name of renewal.

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Mon June 2nd, 2014, 6:27 pm

No Job for a Lady by Carol McCleary
June 10, 2014

History, mystery, and murder are the traveling companions of Nellie Bly, the world’s first female investigative reporter. In Carol McCleary's No Job for a Lady, Nellie defies the wrath of her editor and vengeful ancient gods while setting out to prove a woman has what it takes to be a foreign correspondent in dangerous Victorian times.

Pyramids, dark magic, and dead bodies are what the intrepid Nellie encounters when she takes off for Mexico after her editor refuses to let her work as a foreign correspondent because “it’s no job for a lady.”

It’s 1886 and Mexico has not cast off all its bloodthirsty Aztec past. Among the towering pyramids in the ghost city of Teotihuacán, Nellie is stalked by ruthless killers seeking Montezuma’s legendary treasure and an ancient cult that resorts to the murderous Way of the Aztec to protect it.

Nellie travels with Gertrude Bell, who will go on to be called Queen of the Desert for her later exploits in Egypt, as well as the most glamorous and beautiful woman of the era, Lily Langtry, consort to the Prince of Wales. Along for the ride is a young gunfighter called the Sundance Kid. And there’s the mysterious Roger Watkins, who romantically and physically challenges Nellie’s determination to be an independent woman in a man’s world.

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Mon June 2nd, 2014, 7:08 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Written in My Own Heart's Blood: A Novel (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon
US: March 25, 2014
UK: March 20, 2014

The wait is nearly over—Claire and Jamie’s story continues in the next thrilling book in Diana Gabaldon’s multimillion bestselling Outlander series. Written in My Own Heart’s Blood follows Gabaldon’s characters through revolutionary Philadelphia and onto the battlefields, as Jamie makes a dramatic return to Claire’s side, a new army sweeps the city, and romance and violence brew. This enthralling adventure carries us through betrayal and redemption, death and danger, and through the perilous waves of a family’s loves and loyalties.

Image[/quote]

So I'm guessing everyone has noticed by now that this release date got pushed back to June 10th? Fingers crossed it doesn't change again - both my mom and a friend are impatiently waiting for it, though I haven't started the series yet.

Return to “General Discussion”