Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you writing? June 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 29th, 2012, 11:11 pm

[quote=""arvind""]I've just begun writing a historical fiction novel set in 13th-century Tamil Nadu, a state in South India. Researching the events of that time, while a lot of fun, is still proving to be painstaking work. Thank god for the fiction part of the book :)

Is anyone here reading/writing about medieval India?[/quote]
Hi Arvind,
I have a work-in-progress in my drawer about the end of the reign of Sher Shah Sur, and the building of the grand trunk road. Mid sixteenth century isn't exactly medieval, but technology and society change slowly in India (although political power changes go by with great speed.) I set it aside until I have more time for research. But I'm always interested.

arvind

Post by arvind » Sat June 30th, 2012, 1:00 am

[quote=""MLE""]Hi Arvind,
I have a work-in-progress in my drawer about the end of the reign of Sher Shah Sur, and the building of the grand trunk road. Mid sixteenth century isn't exactly medieval, but technology and society change slowly in India (although political power changes go by with great speed.) I set it aside until I have more time for research. But I'm always interested.[/quote]

Hi Emily,

It's interesting that you're writing about the early Mughal period. Not a lot of western eyes get trained on to anything apart from the end of the Mughal empire in India.

Writing in English about that period is a huge relief, though. I don't have to worry about anachronistic language, at least :)

Return to “General Discussion”