Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon May 21st, 2012, 2:46 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Yep. Here's a sample
Another,
I swear, I seriously contemplated tossing that hard against the wall. The only thing that stopped me was I'd scare kitteh, plus the noise to my elderly neighbor below. Gah.[/quote]

What an awful book and how on earth did it get published? I wont be buying it that's for sure!

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon May 21st, 2012, 9:00 am

He's certainly very athletic isn't he, especially how he managed to er, perform, from as great a distance as possible. Yikes.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 21st, 2012, 1:56 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]What an awful book and how on earth did it get published? I wont be buying it that's for sure!

Bec :) [/quote]

I think the author should have stuck with non-fiction. I should really know better when the literary word is thrown around. They are rarely winners with me.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon May 21st, 2012, 2:04 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]He's certainly very athletic isn't he, especially how he managed to er, perform, from as great a distance as possible. Yikes.[/quote]

I was trying to figure out the mechanics of that. Didn't sound all that fun.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 10:54 am

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 1:38 pm

The Great Silence by Juliet Nicolson: interesting history of the aftermath of WW1 based on personal accounts.
Just started To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick: enjoying all the historical detail and the way that the characters are developing.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue May 22nd, 2012, 4:44 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.[/quote]

I've read that about 6 times in my lifetime - just love it!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

ranidays
Scribbler

Post by ranidays » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 4:19 am

I'm reading Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. It came out last year, but I came across it on GR and it has a great rating, so I figured why not! It's very good so far.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 7:22 am

Still stuck in Ancient Rome! Praetorian, latest in Simon Scarrow's Cato and Macro adventures. A bit like Bernard Cornwell- a little formulaic at times, but always a reliably entertaining read.

Love Durrell's My Family and Other Animals- wonderful memoir. I read it about the same time I discovered Laurence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet. Such a ramshackle, talented family, definitely in the great eccentric English tradition :)
Last edited by annis on Wed May 23rd, 2012, 7:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 9:09 am

[quote=""annis""]
Love Durrell's My Family and Other Animals- wonderful memoir. I read it about the same time I discovered Laurence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet. Such a ramshackle, talented family, definitely in the great eccentric English tradition :) [/quote]

Love the descriptions of Corfu. I went to Corfu a few years ago and 1930s Corfu is very different to the present day one. I liked Corfu Town and some of the lesser visited places. Too many neon lights and kiss-me-quick hat types for my liking in certain places, although we did find a lovely restaurant when we were out exploring so we booked a table for the evening. When we returned there were no menus or prices to be seen anywhere but plenty of Ferraris and Porsches parked in the carpark. The waitress recited the meals of the day - the food was great and, funnily enough, it wasn't that expensive. Good job, really, or we might've been eating dry bread for the rest of the holiday. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “General Discussion”