Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ebook freebies and deals 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 10:59 am

Black Friday Sale on US Kindle - the "daily deal" includes 25 books, a few of them are history related.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 12:48 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Black Friday Sale on US Kindle - the "daily deal" includes 25 books, a few of them are history related.[/quote]

I see Mariana by Susanna Kearsley is there for $1.99. That was one of my favorites reads of this year.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 6:27 pm

Another bargain: The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry - $3.00 (keep in mind the author of this is a convicted and confessed murderer herself!)

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 6:32 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Another bargain: The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry - $3.00 (keep in mind the author of this is a convicted and confessed murderer herself!)[/quote]

This is the first in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt mystery series. I love those two characters! I started reading this series more than 20 years ago, but I've never read the last five or so.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 7:20 pm

[quote=""Susan""]This is the first in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt mystery series. I love those two characters! I started reading this series more than 20 years ago, but I've never read the last five or so.[/quote]

I read the first one, thought it was good but there are mysteries with better romantic duos which aren't written by a murderer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Perry ... _and_trial

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat November 24th, 2012, 10:53 am

I've read The Cater Street Hangman - I enjoyed it. And, yes, I know who Anne Perry is - there is a film, Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslet. I don't condone what they did - but they were only 15 and so deserve a second chance.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Sat November 24th, 2012, 7:35 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I've read The Cater Street Hangman - I enjoyed it. And, yes, I know who Anne Perry is - there is a film, Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslet. I don't condone what they did - but they were only 15 and so deserve a second chance.[/quote]

It's not that I don't believe she deserves a second chance, I just find it disturbing that she's writing about murder. If she was writing about anything else, it wouldn't bother me to buy or enjoy her novels. But I find it hard to believe that someone who felt genuine remorse over murdering someone could write about it fictionally for entertainment as much as she does. I think it suggests that she has no conscience and no remorse for what she did - and knowing that, I think if I tried to read her novels now, it would disturb me too much.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun November 25th, 2012, 3:11 am

My problem, regardless of age, was the premeditation for such a stupid reason (ok to 15 year olds it probably didn't seem stupid), and the viciousness of the murder itself. I think if it had happened in the US, they'd have been tried as adults and either given life without parole (or at least a very long spell in prison) or the death sentence (depending on the state).

I think I will forgo her books.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Sun November 25th, 2012, 11:13 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]My problem, regardless of age, was the premeditation for such a stupid reason (ok to 15 year olds it probably didn't seem stupid), and the viciousness of the murder itself. I think if it had happened in the US, they'd have been tried as adults and either given life without parole (or at least a very long spell in prison) or the death sentence (depending on the state).

I think I will forgo her books.

SM[/quote]

Yes, the nature of the murder itself also disturbs me - they didn't just murder someone, they brutally attacked someone they knew. 45 blows with a brick... 45 times they chose to commit the act. You don't just suddenly grow a conscience after that no matter how old you are. By 15, you know how very wrong that is but they seemingly did not care.

Even so, I think I could separate that from her novels if they weren't about murder. But since they are about murder... how does one separate them? I can't get my head around that. I'm pretty sure Perry must be a sociopath or psychopath in order to detach herself from her own crime to write murder mysteries.

Okay, rant over.

On another note, a whole bunch of history books from Acheron Press are free - it looks like they are public domain so they might be found free elsewhere but that is not always the case.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun November 25th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Perhaps writing about murder is her way of coming to terms with what she did. It was a terrible act that they both carried out - I am sure she does regret what she did, she can't pretend she didn't do it so maybe puts a brave face on it. It sounds like she's turned to religion as well. She lives as a recluse so must live a very lonely life.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “General Discussion”