Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2012 Edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon October 8th, 2012, 1:24 am

[quote=""Brenna""]I had a meeting at a library Wednesday night and just had to pick up a few books to read.

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor-it's the 1944 version that I can't seem to find a picture of on GR.

Jack Whyte's books-The Forest Laird about William Wallace and then the last two in his Camulod series that my grandmother never bought because they got bad reviews-The Lance Thrower and The Eagle

Manda Scott's Dreaming the Eagle. I had never heard of her, but apparently she got some pretty decent reviews from GR so I'm excited!

The I bought two books on Kindle-Kearsley's Shadowy Horses and Robert Lows Lion Wakes.[/quote]
I remember reading Forever Amber years ago! You never know what is going to happen to her next! Wasn't there a mini-series?
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon October 8th, 2012, 8:01 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Nice haul at the charity sale today, well worth the time to trek out there and back (plus gas). I *bought* two $3 bags and have a bit of everything and too many to name them all. Got a Du Maurier I'd never heard of (The Winding Stair - Francis Bacon). A few Susan Howatch, two of which are romantic suspense. A bunch of Catherine Cookson novels, two Phyllis Whitney (one is Civil War, lovely cover) and a Victoria Holt. Bunches more that shall rename nameless, especially since a glance at the GR shelves, hardly anyone else has heard of them either. One promising HF/HR set in France during WWII and focused on the resistance movement. Whoot.

I know this is pathetic, but I also picked up an older copy of du Maurier's The Scapegoat, and glad I did. I can scan the cover, upload to GR and then donate it off. I hate nekkid books.[/quote]

A good haul, Misfit! I read Penmarric by Susan Howatch at the beginning of September and loved it. I've read a few Catherine Cookson books quite a few years ago now. She was a very popular author. I always enjoy Victoria Holt and I believe I have a couple of Phyllis Whitney's books on my TBR pile.

[quote=""Berengaria""]I remember reading Forever Amber years ago! You never know what is going to happen to her next! Wasn't there a mini-series?[/quote]

I loved Forever Amber, Berengaria! Fantastic book and film. George Sanders was Charles II. His voice was always quite distinctive so I remember his part well - it's some years since I watched it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 9th, 2012, 2:45 am

Ordered this because it was cheap on Kindle, no reviews yet, crossing fingers:
Imperial Requiem: Four Royal Women and the Fall of the Age of Empires

Also preordered Duran Duran's John Taylor's Autobiography, he was always my fave.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 10th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Picked up "Water Witch" by Carol Goodman from the bookshop.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed October 10th, 2012, 2:01 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Picked up "Water Witch" by Carol Goodman from the bookshop.[/quote]

So I keep hearing things about this book (series) and I'm curious. Can someone fill me in on the series in general?
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 10th, 2012, 2:17 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]So I keep hearing things about this book (series) and I'm curious. Can someone fill me in on the series in general?[/quote]

I've read the first book in the series which was called "Incubus" in the UK but I think has now been re-named "Demon Lover" in the US (according to her website anyway). Basically think grown-up Harry Potter (it's set in a university and most of the staff in the heroine's faculty are supernaturals of some sort) plus True Blood (quite a lot of sex and our heroine finds out she is part fey) plus a bit of Gothic house in the woods stuff. In the UK it was marketed as a Gothic horror, but as I got more into it I found it increasingly over the top and at one point almost gave up on it, and then decided to treat it as a supernatural romp, which was fine and did keep me interested enough to buy the sequel. So if you like supernatural/urban fantasy/gothic then you might like this. It does have a dry sense of humour, I remember one scene where all her supernatural friends are helping her to cook a meal which was quite amusing.

Hope that helps! ;)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 12th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Just ordered "The Betrayal of Trust" by Susan Hill and "Finders Keepers" by Belinda Bauer, both modern crime.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat October 13th, 2012, 2:31 am

Got my copy of "Water Witch" by Carol Goodman (aka Juliet Dark) yesterday, was disappointed to see how short it was compared to the first book in the series, which was 466pgs, this is only 339pgs, *sad face*.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Sat October 13th, 2012, 12:54 pm

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (because I liked the title :) ) and The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz, the new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 13th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Went to a small FOL sale today. Got some interesting finds, one of which is about Peter the Great. No idea if it will be the way of romance or historical. No reviews on Ammy or shelved by anyone at Goodreads. Embrace the Fury by Jessica March. Also one very promising looking book by Samuel Shellabarger, Lord Vanity and Maria by Eurgenia Price (early Florida). I have a different cover than what's listed at the book sites so I'll have to scan it later.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “General Discussion”