Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2012 Edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 17th, 2012, 3:58 pm

They're lovely aren't they? Which ones did you buy?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu May 17th, 2012, 4:14 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]They're lovely aren't they? Which ones did you buy?[/quote]

I bought "The Warden" by Anthony Trollope - because I collect Trollope editions, so I will definitely get all of the four or five Trollope books being released as part of this series.

Once I saw how lovely it was, I bought "The Murders in the Rue Morgue and Other Tales" by Edgar Allan Poe, just on a whim.

I realise the production of countless new editions of classics is just a moneyspinning exercise as the works are out of copyright so it's money for old rope. So it's just suckers like me who'll shell out for new editions of books that you can get for pennies in older editions or for free in electronic form. But that's book addiction for you.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu May 17th, 2012, 8:21 pm

I got Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies for Mother's Day last weekend--I'm waiting to read it until I get through the Anne Boleyn stretch in my own WIP.

Also got some older books in the mail today: Alice Harwood's The Uncrowned Queen (Margaret Beaufort) and Joanna Dessau's The Grey Goose (Katherine Grey).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat May 19th, 2012, 3:56 am

Preordered "Delusion in Death" (Kindle Edition) by J.D. Robb

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Sun May 20th, 2012, 12:15 am

[quote=""emr""]Release date for the hardcover said 21st June. But since yesterday it's disappearing... :confused: [/quote]

Hi, emr... RH has decided not to do the hardcover edition after all, and put all their push behind the trade PB. I just found out a couple of weeks ago, so it was a last minute course correction.

Sorry. :(
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 20th, 2012, 4:02 am

Up and Down Stairs: The History of the Country House Servant by Jeremy Musson
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun May 20th, 2012, 4:29 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Up and Down Stairs: The History of the Country House Servant by Jeremy Musson
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson

SM[/quote]

I listened to the audiobook of At Home. I really enjoyed it, although it is not just strictly about the history of private lifes and homes. He branches out quite a lot in a rambling sort of way, but there are heaps of nuggets of information (or useless trivia depending on who you ask). I do intend to read it at some point, because I found that listening to all these interesting little things made me want to just stop and have a think! Though it is good to listen to as he reads it himself.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun May 20th, 2012, 6:40 am

[quote=""Elizabeth""]Hi, emr... RH has decided not to do the hardcover edition after all, and put all their push behind the trade PB. I just found out a couple of weeks ago, so it was a last minute course correction.

Sorry. :( [/quote]

Thanks Elizabeth. I already added the paperback to the wishlist (I prefer to buy closer to release date) :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun May 20th, 2012, 11:05 am

Now You See Me by S J Bolton - modern crime, but with echoes of Jack the Ripper, according to the blurb.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 2:28 am

Grr a book I got from BF that I thought was a NF bio of Cristina di Savoia turned out to be a not a well written novel on her, it seems very anachronistic, with the princess asking for lunch at 1:30, did they even have that kind of concept of time in the 16th century? I may be wrong, but it seemed odd to me.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “General Discussion”