Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

any historical personages you wish had fiction composed about them

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 5:12 pm

[quote=""Lauryn""]I always found that this story made me think of John Marshal, who (while not necessarily showing his equipment) told King Stephen he had the hammer and anvils to beget more and better sons than the young boy Stephen held hostage.
.[/quote]

yes I thought the same thing when I read that post! :D

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 6:25 pm

Has anything been written from the perspective of Mary I of England?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 7:05 pm

Wat Tyler's Rebellion...Walter "Wat Tyler has always intrigued me....I have not come across him and his Rebellion in a work of historical fiction....NF yes and A mention of him in the hilarious "Black Adder"....ie....somebody asks the Adder for the afternoon off,...Adder replies" Who do you think you are Wat Tyler?" "You can have the afternoon off when you die" .....Anyway I wish somebody would tell the story behind Wat's Tyler's Rebellion.....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 8:55 pm

Posted by LoveHistory
Has anything been written from the perspective of Mary I of England?
Suzannah Dunn has a recent novel out about Mary 1 called "The Queen's Sorrow"
I haven't read it myself, so don't know what it's like-- I think it's had a bit of a mixed reception.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:06 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Has anything been written from the perspective of Mary I of England?[/quote]

Jean Plaidy has written about her, and there's also a novel by Hilda Lewis called I Am Mary Tudor. I've read the Plaidy but not the Lewis.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon May 4th, 2009, 3:49 am

Julianne Lee's Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor will be out at the end of this year.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon May 4th, 2009, 6:18 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by LoveHistory

Suzannah Dunn has a recent novel out about Mary 1 called "The Queen's Sorrow"
I haven't read it myself, so don't know what it's like-- I think it's had a bit of a mixed reception.[/quote]

As much as the back cover blurb makes it sound like this book is about Mary I, it really isn't. It is just set in London during her reign. She does make a few appearances. It is written from the POV of a member of Philip's Spanish entourage.

There are three books in the Hilda Lewis series about her. All of which I have on my shelves...unread though.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon May 4th, 2009, 7:39 am

That's a bit annoying. The advertising for the book is quite deceptive- anything I've seen about it seems to indicate that it's about Mary herself.

What are the titles of the Hilda Lewis books, Amanda? It can be really hard to get synopses of older books, though I guessing that the one called "I Am Mary Tudor" might be one of them.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon May 4th, 2009, 8:49 am

Hilda Lewis's Mary Tudor books:

I am Mary Tudor
Mary the Queen
Bloody Mary

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon May 4th, 2009, 9:27 am

[quote=""chuck""]Wat Tyler's Rebellion...Walter "Wat Tyler has always intrigued me....I have not come across him and his Rebellion in a work of historical fiction....NF yes and A mention of him in the hilarious "Black Adder"....ie....somebody asks the Adder for the afternoon off,...Adder replies" Who do you think you are Wat Tyler?" "You can have the afternoon off when you die" .....Anyway I wish somebody would tell the story behind Wat's Tyler's Rebellion.....[/quote]

I've seen him mentioned before in HF, but I certainly don't recall any books where he was the main character.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “General Discussion”