Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? December 2011

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue December 20th, 2011, 3:48 am

Bumped. Which is YA
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue December 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Non historical at the moment. I am busy reading everything I can get my hands on by Charlaine Harris. She's addictive!
I think The Wordsmith's Tale will be next up though when I get back to HF[/quote]

I'm a big.fan of Charlaine Harris EC, I've been very addicted to her Sookie Stackhouse series!! Can't wait for the next one out in May. Now reading Arbella Stuart - A rival to the Queen by David N Durant, alright so far but I'm still in morning for Carol Wensby Scott's Percy trilogy which I've now finished :( I want more Percy! :D

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Tue December 20th, 2011, 4:22 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""] I'm still in morning for Carol Wensby Scott's Percy trilogy which I've now finished :( I want more Percy! :D [/quote]

Have you read Proud Conquest?

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed December 21st, 2011, 2:04 pm

I haven't TiciaRoma,:it's on my wishlist for books to buy when I have more pennies after Christmastide :) Is it as good as the Percy trilogy?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 21st, 2011, 3:44 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]I haven't TiciaRoma,:it's on my wishlist for books to buy when I have more pennies after Christmastide :) Is it as good as the Percy trilogy?[/quote]

I have that and one other CWS title on the pile somewhere (Coal Baron I think). No idea when I'm getting to them though. Glad to see you enjoyed the Percy books.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed December 21st, 2011, 4:24 pm

Finished Libraries in the Ancient World by Lionel Casson; a fun read for anyone who loves libraries. Still working on Sitlicho: The Vandal Who Saved Rome by Ian Hughes.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 21st, 2011, 5:37 pm

Brenna's mention of Wilbur Smith upthread reminded me that I've been wanting to try his Courtney books. Just started the first one, When the Lion Feeds, last night because I was in the mood for epic adventure. So far, so good. By the way, is there a point where the family changes the spelling of their name from Courteney to Courtney?

Does anyone have an interest in creating a Wilbur Smith thread in the author section? He's written enough books, and I don't remember seeing one for him.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 21st, 2011, 6:51 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]
Does anyone have an interest in creating a Wilbur Smith thread in the author section? He's written enough books, and I don't remember seeing one for him.[/quote]

You can create one for him.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 21st, 2011, 7:07 pm

I'd like to know if there is an interest first.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu December 22nd, 2011, 3:58 am

I read a ton of Wilbur Smith novels back in the day, but not for a while. I enjoyed Sunbird, which is a one-off time-slip featuring the rediscovery of an ancient Carthiginian city in Africa, and the Courtenay series beginning with Birds of Prey. These are prequels to the original Courteney series which begins with Lion Feeds.

Although WS writes a ripping yarn, after a while I found the sexual violence which often appears was becoming a bit off-putting - there's something a tad nasty about it - reminiscent in some ways of Ken Follett's novels.
Last edited by annis on Thu December 22nd, 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”