Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? December 2011

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 30th, 2011, 5:40 pm

I'm just about to start "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri December 30th, 2011, 6:04 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]
I finished She-Wolves last night and started Ian Mortimer's The Greatest Traitor about Roger Mortimer. The font is very small so I may be reading other books while attempting to get through this one![/quote]

I try to save the small-fonted ones until the better and longer daylight of the summer seasons.

If I want to read a book, it usually doesn't matter how much I am glued to it, hence the concept of eye-strain is rather alien to me. But I do have to be able to see the font and there is no way I can get round that one.

Mind you, if I am really desperate to get it read, I do have a cheat that will assist me.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 2:54 am

These are the last books I read for Dec and 2011:
"Consuming Passions: Leisure and Pleasure in Victorian Britain" by Judith Flanders (527pgs, 2006) (12/18)* - Fascinating and enjoyable look at what the Victorians enjoyed doing.
"London's Hidden Secrets: A Guide to the City's Quirky & Unusual Sights" by Graeme Chesters (304pgs, 2011) (12/19)
"Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy" by Roger Collins (522pgs, 2009) (12/19)*
"A History of Jewellery 1100 - 1870" by Joan Evans (360pgs, 1950orig, 1989ed) (12/23)* - Boring for the most part. Lots of French that wasn't translated, nice pictures though.
"Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking" by Kate Colquhoun (397pgs, 2008) (12/23)* - A very interesting book and enjoyable to read.
"The Elephant to Hollywood" by Michael Caine (330pgs, 2010) (12/23) - Fun, charming and interesting autobiography of this great actor. Wish it had been longer though!
"Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher (418pgs, 2011) (12/29)* - Short stories.
"The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III - Father of the English Nation" by Ian Mortimer (464pgs, 2008) (12/29)* - Good book, makes an interesting case that Edward's father, Edward II, wasn't murdered and lived for many years after his supposed death.
"The Civilization of the Middle Ages" by Norman F. Cantor (569pgs, 1963orig, 1993ed) (12/31)* - Not a light read, and not just because of it's side. Interesting though.

I read 193 books, 52 more then 2010, with a total of approx. 70536pgs, 24475 more then last year. Maybe this year I'll break 200!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

silverstar

Post by silverstar » Thu January 5th, 2012, 1:22 am

Im re reading......
In the Steps of St Paul...by H.V.Moreton...
Pub 1936 ...

The 1930s.... nice time to be travelling around the Med....
jotting down your thoughts and descriptions.... wot a life !

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 5th, 2012, 1:45 am

[quote=""silverstar""]Im re reading......
In the Steps of St Paul...by H.V.Moreton...
Pub 1936 ...

The 1930s.... nice time to be travelling around the Med....
jotting down your thoughts and descriptions.... wot a life ![/quote]

Hi silverstar, glad to see a new face around here ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “General Discussion”