Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? December 2011

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

What Are You Reading? December 2011

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu December 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm

Whoops, it's December! I'm reading Jane, Beloved Queen by Jean Evans, an old historical novel about Jane Seymour, and Philip of Spain, King of England, NF by Harry Kelsey.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu December 1st, 2011, 4:14 pm

Finally finished my ARC of Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie. Totally engrossing. Still working on a research book Roman Women, with which I'm not that impressed. Feeling the need for a some fiction. Maybe something contemporary like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri December 2nd, 2011, 7:55 pm

Reading an ARC of The Last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen - and four research books on the Borgias!
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 3rd, 2011, 3:16 am

Reading A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist. Rather surprised to *learn* that they were harvesting Redwoods in Seattle in 1866... ;) :confused: :p
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat December 3rd, 2011, 4:07 am

Okay, because I couldn't find the two hf novels I wanted at my local Barnes and Noble (oh lord it is so sad now, it is really much more of a toy store now*crying*) I read a copy of DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth. It's YA Dystopian and I almost put it down bc the cover made me think they were about to simply rip off HUNGER GAMES. But it was not a copy of that fun series. DIVERGENT is its own thing and was quite enjoyable.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat December 3rd, 2011, 4:29 am

Colin Falconer's Silk Road - a Templar knight tormented by his past, an instransigent Dominican monk and a fiery Tatar warrior-princess sharing a dangerous, colourful epic road trip over the Roof of the World, through the unforgiving Taklamakan Desert to Xanadu in the thirteenth century - what's not to like?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat December 3rd, 2011, 12:42 pm

"The Magicians' Guild" by Trudi Canavan.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Sat December 3rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

King of the Wood by Valerie Anand

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat December 3rd, 2011, 1:23 pm

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak...it's the shortest book that I currently have on my Kindle and I have only one book more to read before I meet the goal for my total books read this year on Goodreads. I have been waiting to accomplish that goal and will reward myself by reading Sharon Kay Penman's Lionheart (my cherished signed copy!) next.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 4th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Just finished James Wilde's Hereward, another in the recent slew of novels set around the Norman Conquest of England in 1066. Many of these historical adventures have a common tendency to degenerate into blood-fests rather than focusing on character development, and this is no exception. Wilde's Hereward does show signs of promise here and there and definitely improves as it goes along, but doesn't quite manage to rise above the swamp of gore galore. I don't feel that anyone has really portrayed Hereward the Wake to my satisfaction to date, though Jack Ogden's Brainbiter came close. Wilde's version is at least several notches above Stewart Binns' dire novel about Hereward, Conquest, which has become my default measure for historical fiction awfulness (as in, "How bad is this book on the Conquest scale?")
Last edited by annis on Sun December 4th, 2011, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”