Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I can't believe (insert author) wrote this!

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 18th, 2011, 6:32 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]No breed should be aggressive. Aggressiveness in any breed or dog is considered a flaw, not the norm.
[/quote]

Agreed! There were some breeds bred for guard and protection work and thus aggression towards people was not selectively bred out like it was with the American Pit Bull Terrier. Rottweilers, German Shepherds etc. were bred to bite and injure humans if required. This trait was specifically selected against with pit bulls. But all breeds were bred to interact with people so there is no breed of dog that is inherently dangerous to humans.

Also the media smear campaign against pit bulls goes a long way towards cementing the vicious image of these dogs in people's minds. It's very sad. Whenever a dog injures or kills a person there are always extenuating circumstances. You have to think critically and ask how was the dog taken care of, was it taken to obedience classes, socialized with strangers, children, other animals, how much exercise did it get each day, etc. Unfortunately the news stories don't ask these questions only want to sensationalize a tragedy to sell stories. And because of that pit bulls are dying in shelters at a rate so much higher than any other breed. It's heartbreaking!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “General Discussion”