Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst HF you've ever read

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
JMJacobsen
Reader

Worst HF you've ever read

Post by JMJacobsen » Wed September 17th, 2008, 12:25 am

Now I know Misfit has a great list of these, but I'm curious about the rest of you....what's the worst HF you've ever read and why?

For me it was One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd, by Jim Fergus. I simply could not get past the disgusting premise of sending the dregs of post-Civil War women out west to marry/pro-create with the Native Americans to assimilate the "savages." I was offended on so many levels.

This is followed closely by The Favored Child, by Philippa Gregory, where she took the incest theme to entirely new and yukky levels. :rolleyes:

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 17th, 2008, 12:28 am

Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl", I read it and then promptly threw it at my wall and her "The Queen's Fool", I skipped large segments of it, but since it wasn't my book, I couldn't toss that one at the wall.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:02 am

Dublin (also published as The Princes of Ireland) by Edward Rutherford - couldn't finish it. Followed closely by Rosalind Miles book Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:27 am

Recently, Pillars of the Earth. I am sure there were others but I have by this time erased their memory from my mind.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:46 am

Oh dear, my reputation for that wall bangers list continues to grow :o :p :) :D

I'm with Ash, Pillars of the Earth is tops.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:47 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh dear, my reputation for that wall bangers list continues to grow :o :p :) :D

I'm with Ash, Pillars of the Earth is tops.[/quote]

You have no idea Misfit! I actually mentioned wallbanger on the forum for Booksfree and explained what it meant and a few people said that they liked the term and some started to use it as well!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:51 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]You have no idea Misfit! I actually mentioned wallbanger on the forum for Booksfree and explained what it meant and a few people said that they liked the term and some started to use it as well!

SM[/quote]

Well, I'm finally a trend setter, although I can't take credit for it, I stole it from another commenter or two somewhere on amazon :D :D

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed September 17th, 2008, 3:14 am

1,000 white women is on my list and on my shelf. One day I will read it...

For me it would have to be The Luxe. A HF novel for teens that takes place in 1899 but somehow the author decided not to be bothered with the way people acted back then so we had a lot of teens sleeping with each other. :rolleyes:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed September 17th, 2008, 4:06 am

If it's really bad, I don't finish it. I try not to remember it at all. Usually over the top gross or perverted sex scenes will get me to ditch a book pronto. This does not mean that I want books to avoid difficult subjects, but there are ways to write them that are tactful and serious and other ways that remind me of conversations in the military that I had to listen to because I was stuck in the same barracks... mostly for shock value.
Pillars of the Earth got chucked at the first one of those.

Poorly researched history and just downright lousy writing will lose my interest pretty fast, too. I can stand a mediocre book with good history getter than good writing with poor research. I know I'm in the minority there.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed September 17th, 2008, 4:33 am

I read one about HenryVIII. It was so bad I cant even remember the title or author! I dont think I got to the first quarter of the book before I gave up. There was so much that was wrong in the story, and it was so poorly written! If it wernt a library book, it would have been a wallbanger too!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Return to “General Discussion”