Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How many pages do you read a day?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 12th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I think it all depends on how much is going on around me. Sometimes I cant read more than 20, but I try to read 50 a day. But then there was the HEretic Queen and I read that in 2 days. It all depends.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat September 13th, 2008, 9:54 am

Depends on what I'm reading, how much time I've got and how tired I might be. So I would probably read anywhere between 30-80 pages a day in a normal week, far less if I've got assignments to write. But if I've got nothing to do and lots of time to kill it's easy to go over 100 pages or more and not realise.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat September 13th, 2008, 11:25 am

If I am able to read a breakfast I can read about 20+ pages, then I read in bed at night another 20+ pages. Any more is a bonus! My problem is my eyes get tired, hence reading first thing when they are fresh! If I read in bed at night I have to put on stronger glasses!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat September 13th, 2008, 12:04 pm

During the school year, I'm lucky if I can read 10 pages a day. Of course, during the summer I can read more. I'd really like to finish Lady Macbeth right after I post this, but school work calls. I am teaching 8th grade language arts literacy this year and it is new for me, so that means all new lesson plans. Today I'll be working on plans for the play The Miracle Worker.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Sat September 13th, 2008, 12:51 pm

For me it depends on several things : how tired I am, how good the book is, how much housework I still have to do ...
So I'd say somewhere between 20 and 100 pages a day, sometimes more on a Sunday afternoon for instance.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat September 13th, 2008, 2:14 pm

[quote=""Susan""]During the school year, I'm lucky if I can read 10 pages a day. Of course, during the summer I can read more. I'd really like to finish Lady Macbeth right after I post this, but school work calls. I am teaching 8th grade language arts literacy this year and it is new for me, so that means all new lesson plans. Today I'll be working on plans for the play The Miracle Worker.[/quote]

Oh, I so hear you. I can easily go through a 300 page book in one day during the summer. Once school starts, those days are gone. I can get through the same book in about two weeks (but I do love my job so I can't complain, too much!)

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat September 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Between 20 and 100 as well. It depends on how much I'm writing that day also and whether my brain is tired!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 13th, 2008, 4:32 pm

On a normal day, probably between 20-30. However on the odd occasion I'm on holiday, or have a long train journey or flight, I could probably get through about 100 a day, but that's a rarity.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun September 14th, 2008, 12:01 pm

I would like to say I read a 100 or so a day but reality is I have a very chaotic life so I snatch bits and pieces here and there, now at night depending and when I sit down and read I usually get 20-30 pages in before I cannot see straight and have to put the book down.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sun September 14th, 2008, 12:37 pm

It varies for me too. What am I reading - is it for work or pleasure? What day of the week? How interested am I or how much do I need to retain?

And what does "reading" mean? For work-related research, I may have to absorb hundreds of pages in a day. Certainly, I don't read them with the care I would take if I needed to retain the information for longer than a day or two.

Some books I like to skim for pleasure. I "read" them well enough to comprehend the plot and get what I want out of them. But I can go through a 500-page book in about 3 hours using this method. I won't, of course, pick up every intricate detail.

If I'm studying a subject, I may read one chapter a day. If I'm reading a complex and interesting plot, such as the one in An Instance of the Fingerpost (a novel of about 700 pages), it might take me 2 weeks to finish it.

Return to “General Discussion”