Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How many pages do you read a day?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

How many pages do you read a day?

Post by EC2 » Fri September 12th, 2008, 6:32 pm

I've just noticed this cropping up in the What are you Reading Thread, so I thought I'd post a thread starter of its own.

I reckon 50 pages on a low day, 70 on average and 100 if I'm going for it. Plus around 20 pages of research reading on top of what I read in snatches as necessary during the day while working.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri September 12th, 2008, 6:40 pm

If I have the whole day to indulge myself, I'll read a 600+ page book non-stop within 10 or 12 hours, or maybe less depending on how much brain power is required. If I'm reading during the week for most of the evening, then I'll read probably approximately 200-250 pages.

I read fast, but retain a lot of detail and rarely have to look back.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri September 12th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Weekdays between 25 - 50 depending on how tired the mind is and how much attention the book requires. Weekends, I can blow through a 500 page book pretty easily, but then the check book doesn't get balanced nor much of anything else either. Good thing I don't have kids :o :o

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri September 12th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Leyland....Impressive.....I read fast, but not that fast; also....I find as I'm getting older my retention is slipping(too many Dead concerts) and I found myself lately skimming some dialogue when the book is dragging a bit....Old habit from college days....Currently reading a time slip novel by Barbara Erskine "Kingdom of Shadows" struggling to stay interested...my first time slip novel and maybe my last.....

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:25 pm

At home, it varies inversely with the neediness of the kids. :D (Just kidding, don't call CPS on me here!)

When I'm home, I'll average about 100 pages a day -- usually after the kids are in bed I'll read till midnight or later.

When I'm at work, double that, easily. Now before someone gets on me for reading at work, bear in mind that I work for an airline and am on the road 4-5 days at a time. That's a LOT of time in hotel rooms, just me and my books! If I'm leaving on a 4 day trip, I'll take a minimum of two books with me. Thank goodness for airport bookstores (if you ever want a rundown of the best bookstores in various airports around the world, give me a shout) if I run out.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Oh gosh, it really vaires. On weekdays there are times when I can't read anything at all, then I'll stay up really late (like last night) and read 200+ pages. On weekends I can usually read 200-300 pages a day. Although the last few weeks I haven't gotten much reading done at all, for me it's easier to say that I average a book a week rather than figure out how much I read each day.

I also have to say that I'm so shocked by how much some of you are managing to read. You all must be speed readers or something! 10, 15, even 20 books in a month!! Amazing! How do you all do it?? :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:14 pm

It just depends.

I just read 50 pages today to finish the book I was reading and I will read more in another book I'm reading and may start a 3rd and 4th one off, so today could be over 100+.

Somedays it's more, somedays it's less, I guess it all depends on how many books I'm reading at the same time or how deeply involved I'm into the book and how fast the book goes.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:25 pm

I read between 100=150 pages each way on my commute each day, so usually around 200-300 pages on the train trips.

Other than that it really depends on a lot of factors. I do read at night. Sometimes it could be a couple of hundred pages, other times just reading 5 is a struggle. It depends on how interesting the book is, how tired I am, how late it is when I start reading etc etc.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Between 50 and 100 pages during the week, maybe more at the weekend depending upon what I'm doing. If I read any more, my husband would be issuing me with divorce papers. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:32 pm

It depends. If it's something heavy and scholarly, I can get about 50 or so pages in a day, giving it an hour or two. Something light, I can easily devour a book a day. And then there's everything in between those two extremes. I've always been like that, even as a kid -- I was stuck in bed for a time, and reading was the only distraction available to me.

Return to “General Discussion”