Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The final countdown: How many books did you read in 2010

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon January 3rd, 2011, 4:04 pm

I just checked my Kindle--which I didn't get until mid-September--and found that I read 18 non-research fiction books on it. I had no idea!
It is true that people who buy an e-reader read more as a result. Here's some of the reasons why: (at least for me)
1. I can't misplace the book unless I misplace the kindle. Oddly enough. along with my cell phone, wallet and car keys, I seem to be able to keep track of the thing because it is important enough to me.
2. Ease of reading. I can adjust the page to any size type, portrait or landscape, withthe push of a button. And the surface is non-glare, non-backlit (although I have a light built into the cover for night reading) and weighs only 8 ounces.
3. ease of impulse buys. One click and you're reading.
4. Audiobooks from audible. And text-to-speech for when I'm driving (it's robot-voiced, but if you are really into a book, you quickly learn to subsitute your own voice in your head.)
5. Cheap books. Classics free. Need I say more?

CrimsonPetal
Reader

Post by CrimsonPetal » Tue January 4th, 2011, 5:32 am

88 books that I counted. There were a few shorter books that I didn't even count because they weren't long enough.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue January 4th, 2011, 3:31 pm

I think I read about 20 this year. pretty low compared to most on this site. some of them were short books for young adults but others were thousand pagers so it probably balances out. I figure its more than one a month. mostly read on the journey to and from the office. If I read more, Id probably feel guilty about it. ;)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue January 4th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I was hoping to make it to 10 books a month last year, but came up to about 118, or so, counting the DNF's -- there were three. Total number of reviews came to around 162, but that includes things like miniseries, tea, and what have you.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue January 4th, 2011, 4:54 pm

It's not how many books you have read - it's if you've enjoyed them which counts! Some people are faster readers than others, too. I have to say I don't see the point in skim reading - if you don't like it, don't bother reading it. Says me who is the queen of perseverance! I hate abandoning books but do not skim read either.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Tue January 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I think my count was 46 this year. A bit less than last year but I went through about three months of absolutely no motivation (besides laying on the couch!) to do anything. Hoping 2011 will bring more books my way!
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue January 11th, 2011, 1:56 pm

60. My goal was 52.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue January 11th, 2011, 5:31 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]It's not how many books you have read - it's if you've enjoyed them which counts! [/quote] That's how I feel: it's not quantity that counts, but quality. As some others have said, this year I'm going for more quality. :) Life's too short (and there are too many books waiting to be read) to waste my time on duds!

chuck
Bibliophile

Counting Books

Post by chuck » Tue January 11th, 2011, 7:22 pm

[quote=""Michy""]That's how I feel: it's not quantity that counts, but quality. As some others have said, this year I'm going for more quality. :) Life's too short (and there are too many books waiting to be read) to waste my time on duds![/quote]

Like Michy.....Not interested in keeping track...I find if I really like a book I slow down to almost a snail's pace....because of the sheer enjoyment of experiencing the story....sometimes I will even re read a riveting chapter....In College I got into a very bad habit of skimming and it took me years to slow down....Book a week is about my speed....Once in a while I will have a couple of them going......Plus I have a life outside of reading books....

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Sun January 16th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Thanks to an even more excessive travel schedule the last year I might have actually read more books than days in the year. That's with helping start up a side business with a couple of friends, get within top 300 ranking in cross country skiing and having a nice little life (I manage to read and still get in twenty new Michelin starred restaurants in Germany and France). So while I live to read, I still have a life outside of it. Though after reading some of the dystopian novels this last year the notion of being a post-apocalyptic hermit in a book store or library is starting to have its appeal.

Plus no skim reading for me. I even waded through the hot messes that were The Invisible Bridge and Anthropology of an American Girl. I rarely don't finish a book. I think bad books have a quality of their own and still have something to impart to me. Even if it is do not ever read this author again. I know there were a couple of books I stopped reading but I have no idea off the top of my head what they were. When a book is bad enough for me to quit it I pretty much purge myself of the work entirely. But it takes me past the point of no return (for me) to decide whether a book is truly bad. I have plenty of great reads and fantastic authors I'd have tossed aside with less patience.

About twenty were easy reads (short novels of 200 pages or so) from Subterranean Press and PS Publishing. Only about ten percent of my overall reading was probably non-fiction. And I think I logged less than 50 books of historical fiction though it was close. Most were genre books (speculative fiction). Barring maybe a dozen, all were 2010 releases.

With three months in Dubai coming up I could double last year's count in those three months alone! No chance of skiiing to distract and I already have shipped fifty arcs I just got and hope by the time I get there to have twice that come in to send on ahead as well.

Return to “General Discussion”