Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Favorite Holloween Story/Tale?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 29th, 2010, 4:56 pm

I've never read Sleepy Hollow but love the Burton/Depp movie, it's so atmospheric and beautifully filmed, with a nice line in dark humour too. I saw the Disney version a few years ago and wasn't that impressed, Ichabod is certainly different to JD!

There was a TV version of "The Woman in Black" several years ago, but they're making a new big screen film of it now, with Daniel Radcliffe as Arthur Kipps.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri October 29th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Madeline ...I agree on the Burton/Depp film....Great imagery....Look forward to seeing Radcliffe "The Women in Black"....I prefer my Ghost stories to have Historic touch to them...Modern day Ghost stories don't work for me unless they bring out a Historic haunting/event aspect to the story....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 29th, 2010, 5:56 pm

I still have a soft spot for Poe's wonderfully gothic Masque of the Red Death.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri October 29th, 2010, 6:36 pm

I agree, Poe's Masque of Red Death , and also, for sheer creepiness, his The Tell-tale Heart.
And while overly long at moments, I still think Anne Rice's The Witching Hour is a Gothic masterpiece.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri October 29th, 2010, 7:05 pm

When I was a huge crush on Gabriel Byrne, I listened to his reading of "Red Masque" many times.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 29th, 2010, 7:14 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I agree, Poe's Masque of Red Death , and also, for sheer creepiness, his The Tell-tale Heart.
And while overly long at moments, I still think Anne Rice's The Witching Hour is a Gothic masterpiece.[/quote]

Oh yes, The Witching Hour is excellent, it's a huge book but she holds the story together well, for the most part, and I found it very creepy in parts - Oncle Julien :eek:
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 29th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Stephen King's The Shining. I still read it every couple of years because as a ghost story it is superb (not talking about the film, just the book). One of the few where I have almost been scared to turn the pages. What a classic.

Another one and a rarity is Gorden Honeycomb's Dragon Under the Hill. It's about a little boy who becomes possessed by some ancient forces from an uncovered Viking grave - seriously scary.

Films. Sleepy Hollow. The Others. The Sixth Sense. And for great fun and I can watch it again and again, Hocus Pocus. Bette Midler is superb as Winifred Sanderson and some of the one liners are a hoot.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 29th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Hear, hear for Dragon Under the Hill- it's one I read when I was about 12 and it was so compellingly creepy that I never forgot the title! It's the story of the disastrous events which befall a family when their young son, Erik, accidentally disturbs the ancient burial place of a Viking warrior. I think I probably talked about it elsewhere - I have a vivid memory of lying huddled in bed one night with this book, scared out of my wits, and a thunderstorm raging outside. It really felt as if Thor and the old Norse gods might be only a lightning flash away. It deserves a reprint!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 29th, 2010, 10:18 pm

[quote=""annis""]Hear, hear for Dragon Under the Hill- it's one I read when I was about 12 and it was so compellingly creepy that I never forgot the title! It's the story of the disastrous events which befall a family when their young son, Erik, accidentally disturbs the ancient burial place of a Viking warrior. I think I probably talked about it elsewhere - I have a vivid memory of lying huddled in bed one night with this book, scared out of my wits, and a thunderstorm raging outside. It really felt as if Thor and the old Norse gods might be only a lightning flash away. It deserves a reprint![/quote]

Oh Annis it really does! I think I was in my teens when I read it from the library - several times. It's one I ought to get a copy of on the 2nd hand market. Even now I remember the brooding figure of the one-eyed man and I was almost scared to turn around myself. So atmospheric. You just knew something awful was going to happen. I think I originally picked it up because I recognised Gordon Honeycomb as a TV newsreader and I was curious, but boy he could write!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 29th, 2010, 10:34 pm

I don't know of anyone who's read this book who doesn't remember it vividly. It was one of my first purchases when I discovered the online secondhand book market.

Return to “General Discussion”