Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

On quoting reviews on jacket blurbs

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

On quoting reviews on jacket blurbs

Post by Misfit » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 2:36 am

Question. I friend of mine has a friend who wrote a review (I think on Amazon, but she also blogs) for a vine ARC. Lo and behold the final copy shows up on stores with a quote from her review - and no one asked ahead of time. Even if she would have given permission for quoting - shouldn't someone have asked first? Or is it a free-for-all as far as the publisher is concerned?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 2:43 am

Well that is rude that they didn't ask permission.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 2:59 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Question. I friend of mine has a friend who wrote a review (I think on Amazon, but she also blogs) for a vine ARC. Lo and behold the final copy shows up on stores with a quote from her review - and no one asked ahead of time. Even if she would have given permission for quoting - shouldn't someone have asked first? Or is it a free-for-all as far as the publisher is concerned?[/quote]

Legally, I think the publisher is within its rights to use a quote from a review, as long as credit is given, the quote doesn't exceed a certain word limit, and the quote isn't taken out of context--especially if the publisher has sent the reviewer an ARC. (It may be also that when reviewers sign up for Vine, they're told that the publisher can use quotes from their reviews--I could be dead wrong, though.)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 3:51 am

I have an acquaintance who wrote reviews for The San Francisco Chronicle. He was always amused when he saw his quotes on the paperback version of the book. Never knew when it was going to happen.

My question to all of you--do any of you use the reviews on the jacket as one of your criteria when buying a book? I never do. I'd rather see a synopsis of the book.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 3:52 am

It does seem like a lack of basic courtesy, if nothing else.

I was a bit startled to find one of my Amazon reviews quoted on an author's website. Though I took it as a form of flattery, it did occur to me that it would have been nice to have been asked first. Is it the legal position that anyone's written work enters the public domain once it's published on the Amazon website? (My review was not for an ARC or for Vine)
Last edited by annis on Sat October 2nd, 2010, 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 9:44 am

I'd agree with Boswell on this. It is probably polite to ask for permission but there is no legal requirement providing credit is given and it's below a certain word count.
With blurbs on books, being an insider and knowing how it works, the only ones I would pay any attention to (speaking as a reader) would be from people I actually know and who share my reading tastes.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 11:13 am

My question to all of you--do any of you use the reviews on the jacket as one of your criteria when buying a book? I never do. I'd rather see a synopsis of the book.
I give jacket blurbs as much consideration as I would a Klausner review. ZIP. NADA.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lucy Pick
Scribbler

Post by Lucy Pick » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 1:26 pm

I don't bother with most blurbs, but every now and then, when I see a favourite, favourite author blurbing an unknown author, it will get me to buy the book. It has happened a few times, so I'd say the blurbs are worth it.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 2:23 pm

I'm with the publisher on this one. Sometimes I'm asked if a review of mine can be quoted, but I consider it unnecessary. It's common practice in the industry that, in exchange for their having submitted a free review copy, the publisher gets to use/quote from the review in their publicity or marketing efforts. Publishers won't ask -- it won't occur to them to ask -- because it's the way the system works. The source of the review should be given, and the review not rearranged or rewritten; otherwise, fine. It wouldn't even bother me if the entire review was reprinted on the author's or publisher's site, as long as it was short. When you get into essay-length reviews, that's a little different.

That said, if it's anyone but the publisher or author reprinting a review that I wrote for their book, I would probably object to that.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 3:56 pm

[quote=""Lucy Pick""]I don't bother with most blurbs, but every now and then, when I see a favourite, favourite author blurbing an unknown author, it will get me to buy the book. It has happened a few times, so I'd say the blurbs are worth it.[/quote]

I do the same thing! I am much more willing to take a chance on a book or new author if someone like SKP, EC, or Michelle Moran has a blurb on the front.
Brenna

Return to “General Discussion”