Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed October 19th, 2011, 8:30 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Empress Josephine’s Crown by Michelle Moran. UK release March 1, 2012.
[/quote]

I miss Michelle, she has been missing from the forum for many months now :(

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 20th, 2011, 11:05 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]One of what?[/quote]
Updates :)

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Empress Josephine’s Crown by Michelle Moran. UK release March 1, 2012.

Empress Josephine's family has been called to Napoleon's court for the terrible news that he intends to divorce his barren wife of thirteen years and take a younger bride, the Austrian Princess Marie-Louise. For Josephine's daughter, Hortense, this means she is free to leave her husband, Napoleon's brother, having given the Bonapartes three heirs. As she looks for love, she must support her mother through the terrible grief of Napoleon's betrayal. For his new wife, it is a terrible duty she must take on in her father's name. She has nothing in common with the strange, older man she has married and can find little in her life to enjoy. But an unlikely friendship with Hortense will bring her much comfort, especially as she must fight for her own happiness. For Napoleon's sister, Pauline Bonaparte, it is yet another woman stealing her brother's attention and affection. Having spent years attempting to control his power and his influence, she must fight harder and dirtier if she is to win...[/quote]

hmmmm interesting indeed! I know nothing about Hortense.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri October 21st, 2011, 12:34 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I miss Michelle, she has been missing from the forum for many months now :(

SM[/quote]

Yeah would be nice to have her back.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri October 21st, 2011, 7:04 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""] that they happen not because of some titanic clash of systems (the bourgeoisie versus the landed aristocracy or the oligarchy versus the gentry) but because of accident [/quote]

The academics call it "the law of unintended consequences" and it has been a popular theme with regard to the English Civil War for some time now, notably with Anne Hughes, so as usual McLynn as usual is not being particularly original. But he does stand out as having one of the best opening paragraphs of any NF I have read over the past couple of years in relation the lack of a state police system in the British Isles until the 19th century. I will have to dig it out at some point.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 21st, 2011, 8:00 pm

Posted by Tanzanite
Rebel by Jack Whyte. UK release April 26, 2012.

In the pre-dawn hours of August 24, 1305 A.D., in London's Smithfield Prison, the outlaw William Wallace waits to be executed at dawn. He is visited by a Scottish priest who has come to hear his last Confession. So begins Rebel, the first epic in Jack Whyte's blazing, brilliant new historical-adventure trilogy. Packed with action, heroism, and vibrant historical detail, this is the Braveheart story as never told before -- the thrilling history of a man who was outlaw and fugitive, hero and patriot, rebel and kingmaker.
This must be a reissue- this book has already been published under the title The Forest Laird

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 1:46 am

I think so far it's only been released in Canada. Amazon UK shows The Forest Laird (hardcover) with a release date in February and then this one is a paperback. They are the same publisher but different imprints - seems a little weird that they would change the title for the paperback, doesn't it? I didn't read the summary that carefully so missed the "first" book part.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 1:48 am

[quote=""Divia""]Updates :)

[/quote]

My new job has been keeping me busy...

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 10:22 am

Some readers are not going to be happy at the change of title. Now markets are global it gets terribly confusing and readers feel really cheated when they have the double disappointment of losing money by paying for something they've read before. I speak whereof I know, having had a title change for one of my novels from the UK to USA and having come in for some flak.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun October 23rd, 2011, 3:19 am

[quote=""EC2""]Some readers are not going to be happy at the change of title. Now markets are global it gets terribly confusing and readers feel really cheated when they have the double disappointment of losing money by paying for something they've read before. I speak whereof I know, having had a title change for one of my novels from the UK to USA and having come in for some flak.[/quote]

I can understand that. I picked up Fiona Mountains Lady of the Butterflies for 50p in a charity shop but hadn't got round to reading it. Then I spotted Rebel Lady in Waterstones quite a while later and bought it (full price) only to discover it was the same book. Now that is frustrating and probably one of the reasons why when I do read fiction now (a rarity), I am finding the consortium my local library belongs to so useful because I can find most books without buying them, including some quite rare ones.
Last edited by SGM on Sun October 23rd, 2011, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun October 23rd, 2011, 4:43 am

[quote=""EC2""]Some readers are not going to be happy at the change of title. Now markets are global it gets terribly confusing and readers feel really cheated when they have the double disappointment of losing money by paying for something they've read before. I speak whereof I know, having had a title change for one of my novels from the UK to USA and having come in for some flak.[/quote]

I have to admit the first Elizabeth Chadwick book I bought was, 'To Defy a King'(I know I'm a late-comer)and then I saw 'For the Kings Favour' and almost bought that too until I read the reviews and it was stated that they were the same book. So to stop anymore confusion I simply went to EC's website and followed the books in their right order and now I have read almost the entire lot :D 'Daughters of the Grail' is my latest and it is on my TBR list.

But perhaps Amazon on both sides of the ocean need to clarify the titles in their blurb? That way the reader's will know.

Bec :)

Return to “General Discussion”