Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon March 19th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Blood Lance by Jeri Westerson. US and UK release October 16, 2012.

Crispin Guest, returning home after a late night, sees a body hurtling from the uppermost reaches of the London Bridge. Guest's attempted rescue fails, however, and the man—an armourer with a shop on the bridge—is dead. While whispers in the street claim that it was a suicide, Guest—known in certain London circles as The Tracker for his skill in solving puzzles—is unconvinced.

What Guest uncovers is that the armourer had promised Sir Thomas Saunfayl, a friend from Guest's former life, that he would provide him something that would make him unbeatable in battle, something for which he'd paid a small fortune. Sir Thomas believes that the item was in fact the Spear of Longinus - the spear that pierced the side of Christ on the cross—which is believed to make those who possess it invincible.

Complicating matters is another old friend, Geoffrey Chaucer, who suddenly comes to London and is anxious to help Guest find the missing spear, about which he seems to know a bit too much. With various forces anxious to find the spear, the life of Sir Thomas in danger and perhaps the very safety of England hangs in the balance, Guest and his apprentice Jack Tucker must navigate some very perilous waters if they are to survive.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon March 19th, 2012, 11:27 pm

The King’s Sorceress by Susan Carroll. US release December 11, 2012.

For fans of Philippa Gregory, comes this brilliant new installment in bestselling author Susan Carroll’s mesmerizing Dark Queen historical fiction series.

Meg Wolfe, The Lady of Faire Isle, is a gifted healer who can find a cure for almost any ailment. But she’s also the daughter of Cassandra Claire, a mad witch and heretic with a notorious history. Meg’s infamous lineage makes her a target from both those who want to use her extraordinary talents for good and those who want to use them for evil. One man in particular needs her special skills: to execute his revenge on a king. History and a kingdom hang in the balance as Meg tries to navigate the delicate line between right and wrong. And what she discovers is that she can no longer trust anyone or anything…not even her own heart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue March 20th, 2012, 12:38 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The King’s Sorceress by Susan Carroll. US release December 11, 2012.

For fans of Philippa Gregory, comes this brilliant new installment in bestselling author Susan Carroll’s mesmerizing Dark Queen historical fiction series.

Meg Wolfe, The Lady of Faire Isle, is a gifted healer who can find a cure for almost any ailment. But she’s also the daughter of Cassandra Claire, a mad witch and heretic with a notorious history. Meg’s infamous lineage makes her a target from both those who want to use her extraordinary talents for good and those who want to use them for evil. One man in particular needs her special skills: to execute his revenge on a king. History and a kingdom hang in the balance as Meg tries to navigate the delicate line between right and wrong. And what she discovers is that she can no longer trust anyone or anything…not even her own heart.[/quote]

I read the first three and found them to be ok. Easy reading but the characters were pretty superficial.
Brenna

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue March 20th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Carroll's The Dark Queen was the first book I read after a reading hiatus of several years. It re-ignited my passion for reading and led me to look for more of something called "historical fiction" ;) . It will always have a special place in my heart.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed March 21st, 2012, 1:22 am

I love the Dark Queen series too! I still have the last one to read yet.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 21st, 2012, 2:04 am

[quote=""Amanda""]I love the Dark Queen series too! I still have the last one to read yet.[/quote]

I haven't read those, but I did read her Bride Finder series a few years ago and liked them.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 2:46 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Boo, for the delay! It seems dates change all the time - I have a hard time keeping up with them sometimes...[/quote]

We're also in title change throes, as we've discovered that a big-name author has a modern-day thriller coming out with the title "The Tudor Deception." I was pretty surprised, as my book has had this title for over a year, but both my UK and US houses want to change it now. As soon as I'm officially cleared to announce the new title, I will. Sorry about the endless confusion! :p
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 2:59 am

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that Random House US has released a special e-book bundle of my novels "The Last Queen" and "The Confessions of Catherine de Medici". This e-edition includes an excerpt of my upcoming novel, "The Queen's Vow."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed April 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Avenger of Rome by Douglas Jackson. UK release August 16, 2012.
Rome, summer 66AD and Nero's agents mercilessly hunt down the last survivors of the Piso Conspiracy. Yet, despite purging this viper's nest with fire and iron, the increasingly unstable young Emperor feels his grip on power weakening. In Judaea, rebels have bested his army and taken an eagle, in Germania, the Rhenus legions agitate for better conditions. In Hispana, his governor plots. But the most dangerous threat is in the east where Rome's greatest general, Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo, presides over an Empire within an Empire. Is Corbulo preparing to march against Rome and take the purple?

Gaius Valerius Verrens, Hero of Rome, is ordered to Antioch with the power of life and death over the soldier he worships. There he finds every man's hand against him and Corbulo's eyes not on Rome, but on a new threat from the Parthian King of Kings, Vologases. Outnumbered, Corbulo marches with Valerius at his side into the barren wastes beyond the Tigris, to meet Vologases in a mighty confrontation that will decide the future of the Empire.

In Avenger of Rome, Valerius will face his greatest enemy and his greatest challenge, but neither will be what he believes.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed April 4th, 2012, 10:06 pm

The Falcons of Fire and Ice by Karen Maitland. UK release August 16, 2012.

Karen Maitland, the author of the hugely popular Company of Liars, has written a powerful historical thriller which takes you right back to the darkest corners of the 16th century. Intelligently written and meticulously researched, The Falcons of Fire and Ice is a real treat for all fans of CJ Sansom and Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

The year is 1539 and the Portuguese Inquisition ushers in an era of torture and murder. When the Royal Falconer is imprisoned on false charges to remove him from the inner circle of the boy King, the Inquisitors strike an impossible deal with his daughter, Isabela. Bring back two rare white falcons from Iceland within the year or her father dies.

Meanwhile in Iceland, a menacing stranger appears to have possessed the soul of a woman chained up in a volcanic cave and is threatening to destroy the community. The woman's twin sister, Eydis, is desperate to intervene but vivid dreams suggest the twins' only salvation lies with a young girl from afar, travelling in search of white feathers ...

Isabela's quest might hold a more crucial purpose then she could ever imagine and there are those among her travel companions who have an interest in doing her harm. But in order to fulfil her destiny, first she must reach Iceland's shores. Alive.

Return to “General Discussion”