Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 20th, 2012, 2:52 am

Posted by Nefret
Why was it thought to be the End of Days? Anyway, that book looks interesting.
I wonder if Aitcheson is referring to the "Millennial Panic" which we've been led to believe struck Britain and Europe around the end of the first mlilennium?

The story goes that people believed the Apocalypse was coming and repented of their sins left, right and centre in anticipation - in a right tizz, a bit like us over YK2 at the start of the second millennium, only over a longer scale of time on either side of AD 1000.

Interesting thing is that it appears this first Millennial Panic was largely constructed by later chroniclers and historians and probably didn't actually amount to much at all, yet like many another historical myth, it's been repeated so often that it's become received wisdom.

See article here at Suite 101:
The "Millenial Panic" of 1000 A.D. That Never Was
http://suite101.com/article/the-milleni ... z26yTIByQf
Last edited by annis on Thu September 20th, 2012, 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 20th, 2012, 8:37 am

@emr: Miles Cameron's details do sound very similar to Christian Cameron's, don't they? I can't find anything though that indicates they are one and the same person. Maybe Miles is yet another member of the prolific Cameron family of authors - CC's father writes thrillers under the name Gordon Kent.

Speaking of Christian Cameron, he has recently posted an update on his website about what work he has in the pipeline:
http://www.hippeis.com

I'm just going to check out his Tom Swan novellas- they sound like fun :)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +st+george

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu September 20th, 2012, 10:12 am

[quote=""annis""]@emr: Miles Cameron's details do sound very similar to Christian Cameron's, don't they? I can't find anything though that indicates they are one and the same person. Maybe Miles is yet another member of the prolific Cameron family of authors - CC's father writes thrillers under the name Gordon Kent.

Speaking of Christian Cameron, he has recently posted an update on his website about what work he has in the pipeline:
http://www.hippeis.com

I'm just going to check out his Tom Swan novellas- they sound like fun :)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +st+george[/quote]

"...and a 'secret' project which will be out later this year... "
uh :cool:
I have a feeling MC it's him. Only, where does he find time to write so much? Amazing.
I'm curious about the Tom Swan tales. I hope they print them or something...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Texas
Scribbler

Post by Texas » Thu September 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I agree with Vanessa that the alternate-end-to-WW II novel sounds interesting. The problem I have with most such novels is that the dialogue is so stilted. Nobody ever talked that way.

Shelley
Rain, A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 20th, 2012, 6:09 pm

@emr: Will be interesting to see if fantasy is Christian Cameron's next project. His output is phenomenal, but even so, the Red Knight is just the first in a yet another series--- CC does seem to have connections and collaborations with various fantasy authors, though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one :)

Have read one of the Tom Swan episodes and enjoyed it. The Victorian serial digitally updated - quite a cool idea!

Edited to say I just came across this piece by Miles Cameron and his voice is very similar to that other Cameron - in fact it even echoes some of the stuff I read in that latest blog post above!
http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2012/08/miles ... ed-knight/
Last edited by annis on Fri September 21st, 2012, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon October 1st, 2012, 3:29 pm

[quote=""annis""]@emr: Will be interesting to see if fantasy is Christian Cameron's next project. His output is phenomenal, but even so, the Red Knight is just the first in a yet another series--- CC does seem to have connections and collaborations with various fantasy authors, though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one :) [/quote]

Comment from CC on GR a couple hours ago:

message 9: by Chris Cameron:

I have no comment to make at this time... :) but I certainly have spent a lot of time reading Medieval romances lately. And you might want to check out 'The Green Squire' on Facebook.

That's a yes hehe
— Frank Zappa

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed October 10th, 2012, 7:58 am

There is a reissue of Sword at Sunset by Rosemary Sutcliff in hardcover ISBN: 9780857892430 Publication Date: 2012-12-01

I have the HC from 1963 and the font is tiny tiny **blinks. Hope this new edition is better.
— Frank Zappa

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue October 16th, 2012, 1:47 pm

The Gothic King: A Biography of Henry III by John Paul Davis. Non-fiction. UK release November 30, 2012.

Henry III was the son and successor of Bad King John, reigning for 56 years from 1216 the first child king in England for 200 years. England went on to prosper during his reign and his greatest monument is Westminster Abbey, which he made the seat of his government indeed, Henry III was the first English King to call a parliament. Though often overlooked by historians, Henry III was a unique figure coming out of a chivalric yet Gothic era: a compulsive builder of daunting castles and epic sepulchres; a powerful, unyielding monarch who faced down the De Montfort rebellion and waged war with Wales and France ¬ and, much more than his father, Henry was the king who really hammered out the terms of the Magna Carta with the barons. John Paul Davis, biographer of Robin Hood and Guy Fawkes for Peter Owen, brings all his forensic skills and insights to the grand story of the Gothic King in this, the only biography in print of one of our most remarkable monarchs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue October 16th, 2012, 1:48 pm

The Kings and Queens of Wales by Timothy Venning. Non-fiction. UK release December, 28, 2012.

The Welsh kings and queens who ruled prior to the Norman Conquest of Wales are shrouded in mystery. Most of what we know is from legend, names in annals, and from their opponents. This book sets out to identify what we know or can reasonably surmise about these rulers, to disentangle their history, and to assess their achievements. The Welsh ruled over large areas of Britain in the pre- and post-Roman eras, before they were pushed back into Wales itself by the Anglo-Saxons. Caratacus and Boudicca are names that stand out from early tribal states, and Medieval Welsh legends refer to shadowy 'High Kings' who ruled after the Romans left - Vortigern, Ambrosius and of course the enigmatic 'Arthur'. Venning explores these mysterious figures before discussing the kings and queens of each area of what we now know as Wales - the north, the centre and south-west, and the south-east - as well as the short-lived Welsh states in the rest of Britain. The thirteenth-century unifiers of Wales, Llewelyn 'Fawr' and his grandson Llewelyn 'the Last', were contemporaries of great nation-builders in England, Scotland, and France, but their political achievements did not last. The precarious Welsh state was permanently overrun by the English war-machine.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed October 17th, 2012, 2:06 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Gothic King: A Biography of Henry III by John Paul Davis. Non-fiction. UK release November 30, 2012.[/quote]

About time. When I got to Henry there was no biography on her that I couldn't find, so ended up reading a section on him in "Four Gothic Kings", so eventually I can come back and read this one, assuming it's good.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “General Discussion”