Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:21 pm

This sounds like The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick.

What book are you reading, Leyland?

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat April 18th, 2009, 7:45 am

[quote=""Leyland""]Having been chased around Victorian London by undead beings in hoods with their mouths and eyes sewn shut - now eating breakfast in a tavern after hiding out overnight in a hospital! Very good stuff so far ...[/quote]

That sounds like Doctor Who lol

I'm in York 1541 being chased by a bear. Poor Shardlake ;)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 18th, 2009, 9:37 am

I'm in 1946, flitting between Guernsey and London via the postal system!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Sat April 18th, 2009, 9:52 am

I'm on the Yorkshire moors, and it feels like I'm living in an insane asylum.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat April 18th, 2009, 10:26 am

I am in my house in England, and there is a very strange door. I have been told not to go through it, but you know what us kids are like - we never listen.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat April 18th, 2009, 1:19 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]
What book are you reading, Leyland?[/quote]Mark Frost's The List of Seven is the novel and is very well written in that I love his complex sentence structure and vocabulary. But Patricia Briggs' Bone Crossed just came in the mail yesterday, so I've bumped Frost til I finish Bone Crossed which is an easy day read. I do have massive spring house cleaning to do this weekend and both novels must be put down for a while!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat April 18th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I'm in Paris with Charles VII.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun April 19th, 2009, 12:38 am

Posted by MLE
I'm in Paris with Charles VII.
Are you reading Dinah Lampitt/Deryn Lake's "The King's Women" by any chance?
It's a sumptous read, which really captures the time and place, despite being thoroughly OTT here and there and full of a liberal re-interpretation of historical figures and their actions. The description of Charles' mother, Isabella, is wonderfully grotesque.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun April 19th, 2009, 1:44 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by MLE

Are you reading Dinah Lampitt/Deryn Lake's "The King's Women" by any chance?
It's a sumptous read, which really captures the time and place, despite being thoroughly OTT here and there and full of a liberal re-interpretation of historical figures and their actions. The description of Charles' mother, Isabella, is wonderfully grotesque.[/quote]

No, I just finished Thomas Costain's the Moneyman, about Jaques Coeur, the commoner who financed France's expulsion of the English a generation after Azincourt. I grew up on Costain, and have always appreciated that he doesn't re-interpret historical figures, but tries to give a realistic feeling of the times.

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Sun April 19th, 2009, 2:03 am

[QUOTE=MLE;25762]No, I just finished Thomas Costain's the Moneyman, about Jaques Coeur, the commoner who financed France's expulsion of the English a generation after Azincourt. I grew up on Costain, and have always appreciated that he doesn't re-interpret historical figures, but tries to give a realistic feeling of the times.[/QUOTE

By coincidence, I'm actually on the fields of Azincourt! Just finishing Bernard Cornwell's latest. It's stunning. I love his authenticity and detail. Although his battle scenes are incredibly brutal. Amazing, compelling--but not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Return to “General Discussion”