Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu October 24th, 2013, 11:09 pm

emr, is it completely vulgar or adolescent of me to get a giggle out of that description ... ? :)

I'm in the Arkansas Ozarks, hanging out with a dragon, and - oh - back in Toxandria in the 480s, revising Clovis. Woo!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Fri October 25th, 2013, 7:41 am

[quote=""DianeL""]emr, is it completely vulgar or adolescent of me to get a giggle out of that description ... ? :)
[/quote]

The loo had that tartan wallpaper... :D
The book was silly and full of coincidences but it was fun and couldn't put it down :)
Now back to contemporary London looking for magic...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 25th, 2013, 6:09 pm

On the war trail across Europe with the Mongols, under Subutai's command.

Currently reading Cecelia Holland's Until the Sun Falls. I love Holland's work, but this may just be the best thing she's ever written.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri October 25th, 2013, 10:07 pm

[quote=""annis""]On the war trail across Europe with the Mongols, under Subutai's command.
Currently reading Cecelia Holland's Until the Sun Falls. I love Holland's work, but this may just be the best thing she's ever written.[/quote]
Until the Sun Falls is one of my favorite Hollands, too!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 26th, 2013, 3:08 am

It was your review of Holland's City of God that got me thinking about CH novels I hadn't yet read, MLE, and I'm really glad I decided to give Until the Sun Falls a go - reading it is a truly immersive HF experience.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat October 26th, 2013, 5:43 am

12th century England. The queen and king just had a son named Richard.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat October 26th, 2013, 4:29 pm

[quote=""annis""]It was your review of Holland's City of God that got me thinking about CH novels I hadn't yet read, MLE, and I'm really glad I decided to give Until the Sun Falls a go - reading it is a truly immersive HF experience.[/quote]

One of my favourite Holland's and truly epic. I read it and read it and read it from the library in the days when I couldn't afford to buy books, and by the time I could, it was out of print. But then it came out again, self published I think, and I have a copy now. This book amazed me in how much Holland made me identify and care for a middle-aged, bandy-legged Mongol warrior with such a very different way of looking at the world. This was even more astonishing giving that I read it in my twenties without that many life experiences of my own. That she could bring me on board the way she did is a mark of a great writer.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat October 26th, 2013, 5:22 pm

[quote=""annis""]It was your review of Holland's City of God that got me thinking about CH novels I hadn't yet read, MLE, and I'm really glad I decided to give Until the Sun Falls a go - reading it is a truly immersive HF experience.[/quote]
Ah, the perils of honest reviewing! Now that I know Cecelia personally, I have regretted how blunt that review was :o (tact has never been my strong point), but your post is proof positive that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

499BC
Scribbler

Post by 499BC » Sun October 27th, 2013, 5:01 am

I'm in the 1930s reading The Pitman's Daughter by Marjorie DeLuca. A gritty tale set in north-east England between WWI & II. I happen to love the 'Geordie' accent and having being brought up in a mining community a lot of it resonates. Luckily for me I never had to go down the mines.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 4th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Alternating between Skye, and Victorian England (not sure where exactly, but in what was then the countryside somewhere outside London.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “General Discussion”