Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu October 16th, 2008, 3:36 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Please Carla....The name of the novel....Really sounds interesting.....[/quote]

It isn't a novel, though it's as gripping as many and more so than some :-) It's an account of the discovery and the investigations by one of the members of the archaeological team. Citation details: Brothwell D. The bog man and the archaeology of people. British Museum Press, 1986, ISBN 0-7141-1384-0.

There's also a bit about it in the current post on my blog (see sig file) - I was reading the book as part of researching the possibility of human sacrifice in early Anglo-Saxon England.

By the way, does anyone know if Lindow Man has been done in fiction? Surely by now.... Bernard Cornwell borrowed some of the details, like the fox fur armband, for the sacrifice to protect the magical cauldron in his Arthur trilogy (Book 2 or Book 3, can't remember which), and no doubt others have done the same, but I wonder if anyone has tried to do Lindow Man himself?
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Thu October 16th, 2008, 3:41 pm

1486, England.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu October 16th, 2008, 5:14 pm

I'm still in 12th-century Castile with the daughter and son-in-law of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Eleanor herself just made an appearance.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu October 16th, 2008, 9:38 pm

London Oct 1888, yup Jack the Ripper is on the loose.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Thu October 16th, 2008, 9:49 pm

18th century Virginia (non fiction, the Hemingses, great read.)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 17th, 2008, 12:06 pm

In the middle of a menage a trois with Sir William Hamilton, Lady Emma Hamilton and Lord Nelson, in Palermo, in The Volcano's Lover by Susan Sontag. This book waffles on a bit, but also has some interesting parts including facts which I never knew about Emma Hamilton! It's a challenge but I'm persevering.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri October 17th, 2008, 12:13 pm

1335 BCE, Nefertiti is Pharaoh, her daughter is Queen of Egypt. Riverside Palace was destroyed by Plague then was abandoned for Thebes.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat October 18th, 2008, 11:03 am

Hobart, Tassie in the late 70's early 80's!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat October 18th, 2008, 1:05 pm

New York having beakfast with Aron Lightner of the Talamasca, talking about the real ghost stories of New Orleans.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat October 18th, 2008, 9:21 pm

[quote=""pat""]Hobart, Tassie in the late 70's early 80's![/quote]

Which book is this Pat?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “General Discussion”