Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best thing Today...I finally converted him!

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Sun October 5th, 2008, 10:19 am

[quote=""nona""]update: Ronnie has started Scarlet Lion which we just got in the mail the other day, and loving it so far. I get to read it after him, lol funny how things can change...[/quote]

HAH, I told my partner about this and not half an hour later he picked up the The Greatest Knight !! :D

Carine
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carine » Mon October 6th, 2008, 9:02 am

Well .... he loved it ! and .... finished it at 2 am this morning !! And .... in the mean time he read 2 chapters of The Scarlet Lion as well !
EC, you've got one more fan !!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon October 6th, 2008, 9:49 am

[quote=""Carine""]Well .... he loved it ! and .... finished it at 2 am this morning !! And .... in the mean time he read 2 chapters of The Scarlet Lion as well !
EC, you've got one more fan !![/quote]

Glad your other half enjoyed it Carine! :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Post by Grasshopper » Tue October 7th, 2008, 1:28 am

You ladies crack me up! Am I the only tough guy on this forum? hehe!!

I think my wife and I compete with each other as to who reads the most. We have quite a library going. I know that she has always read.

There was a time when I didn't read much, starting around 9th grade, when I became quite a bit more athletic, playing lots of basketball and baseball. This dearth of reading lasted until my sophomore year in college (all this time was pretty much full of sports...I even played a semester of baseball in college). I picked up The Hunt for Red October over Christmas break and then shortly afterward, my wife (then girlfriend) bought me a few books and I took back off reading, often foregoing studying to finish a book. Now, I take a paperback with me to work everyday. Can you tell what's more important? ;)

See??? Tough guys can read, too! 8-)

Carine
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carine » Tue October 7th, 2008, 5:40 am

LOL, good for you Grasshopper ! :)

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue October 7th, 2008, 2:13 pm

I agree but I would never have thought my Ronnie would read a HF, it's not his cup of tea you might say. Thats why it was a shock when he wanted to read Chadwick, but I'm happy to say I was wrong.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:44 pm

now my mother in law is reading Greatest Knight and Scarlet Lion, I wonder if I'll get them back long enough to read Scarlet Lion being as how the day it arrived Ronnie took it and indulged himself right away. I must say SL moved him, he actually had a tear running down his cheek as he finished the last page, ranting that "he must have been the greatest man in his time, what we wouldn't do to have men nowadays like him...."

All I can do is smile... :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 10th, 2008, 7:49 pm

A couple of guys have told me they cried. One said he finished the book at the top of the house, hiding from his family so they wouldn't see him sobbing - I guess it might have been a problem as he has young children and the sight of daddy distressed might have upset his little girls too! It could be a whole new genre - tissue novels for men :D :D.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “General Discussion”