Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon reviews: a question

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun May 30th, 2010, 12:38 am

[quote=""Michy""]I find it admirable and amazing that you are able to do that. I've never written a book, much less been fortunate to have it published. But if I did, I imagine that it would be my "baby" and it would be very difficult for me to detach myself from it![/quote]

I've learnt that the hard way from being an artist in newspaper design (I know, advertising whore, but it put food on the table and a roof over my head), and after a time, you develop a very thick hide if you're to survive. Besides, criticism makes you -grow- in your learning and skills, so I try to take it in stride.

And then there are those truly rude buggers out there that you long to kick...

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun May 30th, 2010, 1:09 am

This is going to sound like a paradox -- because I recommended to Parthianbow early in this thread that perhaps he shouldn't even read reviews of his books on Amazon -- but whenever I write a review on Amazon I'm wondering if the author will actually read it. And down deep I'm hoping that they do, because I'm very thorough and specific in my reviews (most of them, anyway). I try to write them professionally and politely, but spare nothing in pointing out what I felt were faults. I actually write my reviews with the author in mind, as though to tell them "this is what was wrong with this book, please keep this in mind when you write your next one."

Just this morning I actually had the experience of an author commenting on my review. So not only did she read it, but she actually responded to it. It made me go back and read my review to make sure I had been nice!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 30th, 2010, 1:26 am

A query-- I 've come across several authors actually begging for readers to post Amazon reviews for their books (either positive or negative- it seems the number is the key rather than the nature of the review). Why? Will having a lot of reviews on Amazon impact that significantly on sales? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 30th, 2010, 1:33 am

[quote=""annis""]A query-- I 've come across several authors actually begging for readers to post Amazon reviews for their books (either positive or negative- it seems the number is the key rather than the nature of the review). Why? Will having a lot of reviews on Amazon impact that significantly on sales? Does anyone know the answer to this?[/quote]

I could swear I've seen somethng recently about a ten review rule but I can't find it. Anyone else recall it?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun May 30th, 2010, 1:33 am

One thing that comes to mind: a book with very few or no reviews may be a sign to potential readers that it's not a desirable purchase, which may discourage them from buying it themselves.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sun May 30th, 2010, 2:49 am

I'm one of the authors who does read my amazon reviews; at times, they've been helpful to me. For example, I got some factual criticisms for The Secret Lion which I took seriously and applied during my recent revision of the manuscript for St Martin's Press, where it will be re-issued as The Tudor Secret in 2011.

I've also read about authors and their friends getting into tussles with reviewers over negative reviews and seen reviewers acting like hungry ferrets. My policy is basically to read the reviews when I'm on my book page; I don't check obsessively, but for example, with a new book out, I do look. I like to see what the readers are saying, but I don't ever comment or get involved and I take whatever is said in stride. If someone liked it, great. If they didn't, well, so be it. I understand writing is subjective and we can't please everyone.

Some people will review just one book because they loved it so much and that is understandable; some people will review many and seek ranking status among amazon reviewers; others will review sporadically, like me, because they really enjoyed a book or reviewed it elsewhere and they're doing the author a favor of posting the review on amazon. Whatever the case, as Anna says, the book is now out in the world and belongs to the readers.

I do not condone authors or reviewers behaving badly, of course, but to each his own. The internet has created a platform where we all feel we can be heard to a certain extent and amazon has a culture all its own. As a consumer, I rarely pay attention to bad or glowing reviews. I usually have made up my own mind about a book when I decide to purchase.
Last edited by cw gortner on Sun May 30th, 2010, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun May 30th, 2010, 3:19 am

This may be a bit off-topic, but.... after reading CW's post to this thread, I decided to check out the book he mentioned, The Secret Lion, on Amazon. And I was dismayed to discover that of the two sellers who are offering new paperback copies, both are asking in the neighborhood of $1,200!!! One of these sellers I have seen doing this before -- in fact, I submitted a complaint about them to Amazon a few weeks ago, because there were two sellers who seemed to be in a price competition over a particular Georgette Heyer book. Again they were the only two sellers offering new copies of the book, and they each had it listed for $30,000!!! I emailed each of the sellers to ask if they were serious, or if this were some sort of typo. Neither of them responded to me, but they both proceeded to keep hiking their prices. By the time I contacted Amazon about it, both sellers were listing the book for $100,000!!! For a mass-market paperback!

Now one of those same two sellers is engaged in the same sort of price-spiking game (with another but different seller this time) over one of CW's books.

Obviously there is some sort of game-playing going on among some of the sellers on Amazon. They should be kicked off Amazon, in my opinion. Such antics do nothing for Amazon's reputation or image, and they certainly don't help book sales for the authors, either.

As an author I realize there's probably nothing you can do about it, but if you can complain to Amazon I think you should. I was going to add your book to my shopping list but at $1,200 for a paperback..... well, no offense, but I don't want it THAT badly! ;)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun May 30th, 2010, 6:23 am

I try to write reviews with a readers' advisory slant to them -- meaning even if I find a book flawed, they'll have an idea which patrons to recommend it for.
Me, too, so maybe I didn't succeed in being completely fair with Murder on the Cliffs. On the other hand, I think a lot of Daphne Du Maurier fans who've read all her books and are hungry for more in that vein may be attracted to this mystery (as I was), and are likely to be deeply disappointed. I didn't want to commit the sin of leading them on, either.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sun May 30th, 2010, 9:18 am

[quote=""Michy""]I was going to add your book to my shopping list but at $1,200 for a paperback..... well, no offense, but I don't want it THAT badly! ;) [/quote]

As C.W. said, it' being re-issued in 2011 so no need to fork out for it just yet :D .

I read and own the original, and am very much looking forward to the new re-issue!
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun May 30th, 2010, 8:41 pm

C.W. We're on exactly the same page. I agree with everything you say. I do check my reviews, but try not to do so obsessively :o I certainly wouldn't jump in and comment. That's for the readers to do once the book is out there. Joining in can seem to be a bit stalkerish somehow, and rude. It's a bit like when kids are playing together and suddenly realise that the teacher is watching them. Immediately the quality of the play changes or ceases altogether. It's intrusive. IMO anyway.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “General Discussion”