Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Does anyone here read Christian historical fiction?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
LiteratusGuru
Scribbler

Post by LiteratusGuru » Mon May 31st, 2010, 2:56 am

I believe theoretically there are at least two possible classes of Christian Historical Fiction.

CLASS 1 - CHRISTIAN (HISTORICAL) FICTION
The first class is what I think this thread's originator had in mind. This is a work of fiction that is set in the past whose main plot purpose is to illustrate Christian ethics at work in the main character. The point of writing and reading such fiction is domewhat didactic, to teach and inspire Christians to be better Christians through fictional example. Writing style of this genre class should conform to what are considered to be Christian ethics - no gratuitous viloence, no sex scenes, and no vulgarity. One immensely popular subgenre of this class is Christian romance novels with a plot set in the past. The heroine cannot lust, but merely strongly desires, and the attraction is at least as much spiritual as it is physical (no graphic descriptors, lots of eye contact). This genre is also highly lucrative, I hear. Religious women buy this type of Christian Historical Romance books in droves. I have only glanced at some of the writing. The standard seems on a par with the Harlequin Romance, and popular authors typically crank out two or three titles per year.

CLASS 2 - HISTORICAL (CHRISTIAN) FICTION
A work of historical fiction that treats a historical event important in the history of Christianity. Its main purpose is not to popularize Christianity, not to prosletyze it, or to adhere to its ethics in its writing style, but to write a work of literary merit that transports the reader into the time and setting. Therefore, vulgarity, violence, and sex scenes may be included. However, they seldom are to a large extent, and if they are, they are not gratuitous. That is probably because the audience for a historical fiction work that deals with some event in the history of Christianity is likely to be Christian and probably would not appreciate gratuitousness, yet is literary enough to expect to be told this aspect, at least enough to know what occurred, and not become offended.

Even this last class (Class 2) has two possible subgenres:

SUBGENRE A: HISTORICAL CHRISTIAN FICTION
The treatment of an event important in Christian History. The best example that comes immediately to my mind is George Eliot's Adam Bede, a historical fiction novel that depicts the Presbyterian movement's beginnings in Scotland and England, the type of opposition and prejudice Presbyterians faced, and how exactly that sect of Christianity started, its crede and its actions in actual practice. It is a fascinating read of a world we know too little of now.

SUBGENRE B: BIBLICAL FICTION
This is the genre that most appeals to me. It takes some event from the Bible for its setting and then extrapolates from that. Orson Scott Card's Sarah is the prototype I am thinking of for this subgenre. Card writes the story of Abraham's wife Sarah in much greater detail than is given in the Bible, but tries to stay true and consistent with all that is known of Sarah. Since Card's concern is for authenticity and transporting us into that setting and showing us that world through Sarah's eyes, he does not write the story in such a way that most Christian Historical Fiction readers of Class 1 would appreciate. It is too literary.

I think Christian Historical Fiction of Subgenre B would be immensely difficult to write well. Nevertheless, it is the type I myself most want to write and therefore read. If anyone could recommend other works of similar quality as Card's Sarah within this specific subgenre, I would certainly appreciate it.

I am probably being unfair in the categorizations above, i.e. it seems there are writers in Class I writing to a higher literary standard than I gave them credit for. I appreciate the examples people have provided in previous posts and will seek some of the recommendations out.
Last edited by LiteratusGuru on Mon May 31st, 2010, 2:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Read more of the posts in the thread and realized I needed to edit to reflect that fact.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon May 31st, 2010, 3:17 am

In general I agree with your categories, and think that Michy may have been looking more at the first than the second (tho I could be very wrong). I certainly am more interested in the second, and I am far from Christian! :) But as with any generalization, what we think of as black or white becomes many different shades of grey. Sort of what happens when someone defines Historical Fiction/Romanic Fiction or Sci Fi/Fantasy. BTW welcome!
Last edited by Ash on Mon May 31st, 2010, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon May 31st, 2010, 10:42 am

Although not "Christian Fiction", but with a biblical theme is "Kingdom of the Wicked" by Anthony Burgess. I viewed it as a sort of "Quo Vadis" but may be incorrect in that and it is many years since I read it.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue June 1st, 2010, 6:31 am

An excellent and useful analysis, Literatus. I'll let Michy speak for herself about her original intention in this thread. I will say, though, that it's my impression that there is a gray area between Class 1 and Class 2.

Perhaps one might add a Class 3 for historical novels that challenge certain traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs while supporting others that may be seen as more universal. The Red Tent might fit in this category. Philip Pullman's new novel about Jesus (which I haven't read yet) would certainly fit in this category. Novels like Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, which portray Christianity in a negative light and paganism in a positive light, might also fit in this category.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon April 4th, 2011, 7:24 am

Finally got around to A Thorn in My Flesh by Liz Curtis Higgs and enjoyed it quite a bit (see review). I'd like to read the sequels, but my TBR list is huge, and I'm also curious about Ginger Garrett's Anne Boleyn novel.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon April 4th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I really enjoy Liz Curtis' Higgs historical fiction set in Scotland (just finished her newest one). She's also an inspirational speaker and, though I've never heard her, it's obvious to me that she has an outgoing and bubbly personality because I see it coming through in her writing. Not sure if you recognized it, but Thorn in My Heart was part I of the Biblical story of Jacob, Leah and Rachel translated into 17th (or was that 18th?) century Scotland. All of her Scottish historical fiction is the same -- Biblical stories reset in Scotland.

If you do read Ginger Garrett's story about Anne Boleyn, let me know what you think of it. Her writing is really different. I am currently reading her newest and, so far, I'm liking if the best of any of her books I've read. Her writing has a disjointed, surreal feel to it, but this newest book is the most coherent.

ETA: When I clicked on the link to your review in your above post, I got a message that said no such URL. :(
Last edited by Michy on Mon April 4th, 2011, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon April 4th, 2011, 7:43 pm

ETA: When I clicked on the link to your review in your above post, I got a message that said no such URL.
Oops - hope this link works better: http://www.historicalnovels.info/Thorn-in-My-Heart.html.

Yes, I did recognize the Jacob-Leah-Rachel story. The way it translated to the new setting made the story quite suspenseful for me, because the storyline was just different enough to keep me guessing.

What is the title of Ginger Garrett's latest? Maybe I should read that one first before the Anne Boleyn novel.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon April 4th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Nice review. Yes, the story did stretch credibility at times, but knowing the author was forcing her plot to follow the Biblical story I was ok with it. Her books do keep me hooked and turning the pages because, although I know how it's going to turn out, I want to know how in the world she's going to do it using Scottish customs and tradition. She does an excellent job, I think.

Ginger Garrett's latest is Wolves Among Us. It's set in 16th century Germany and deals with witch trials. I am not quite finished, so I can't give it a final verdict, but so far it's a bit more readable for me than her previous books.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon April 4th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Yes, the story did stretch credibility at times, but knowing the author was forcing her plot to follow the Biblical story I was ok with it.
I was OK with it, too. Some readers wouldn't be, so I felt I needed to mention that in the review, but for me, it was kind of like reading historical fantasy: I knew it wouldn't really happen that way, but within the context of the story, I felt comfortable going along with it. One of the reasons I felt this way, I think, was that the challenges came with the cultural traditions, not with the psychology of the characters. Okay, it was a little challenging for me to accept that the two sisters were so consistently loving and kind with each other, but the fact that Leana had played the role of mother to Rose helped justify this, and then once Jamie comes along (which is pretty early in their part of the story), their behavior feels more realistic to me. There really was a lot of psychological complexity in the main characters, and I liked that.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Tue April 5th, 2011, 3:00 am

Would Thomas Costain fit into this category? Eons ago in high school I remember, vaguely, reading The Silver Chalice. Sort of a Ben Hur, The Robe type of book.

Return to “General Discussion”