Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Would a "Historical fiction" section be a good thing?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Would a "Historical fiction" section be a good thing?

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon January 18th, 2010, 11:15 pm

In the stone a mortar type bookshops (remember those) Would a "Historical fiction" section be a good thing?

I visited one of the big chains awhile back and I realized how difficult it is to find our types of books because they dont have their own section. they are usually "mixed in" with general fiction. (or possibly another section like romance or fantasy depending on the book of course) It would save time if hist fic had its own section (heck if "inspirational" can be a section...)

but would that be a good thing all around? being mixed in with "general" fiction might get hist fic more respect than say fantasy or sci-fi which get kind of pigeon-holed. and hist fic is not as easily defined as some of these other catergories. by being in the general fiction theres a better chance that your non-hist fic person will pick up the book.

for me, that hist fic section would be great if i dont have a specific book in mind and would like to browse. but i can see reason against it.

anybody else have thoughts?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon January 18th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Well they have fantasy, erotic, YA and graphic novels sections at the one book store I go to B&N.

I never understood why some get their own section and while others dont. Although from a librarian perspective there are many books that are crossover titles, for example Twilight of Avalon is a perfect example. It can be fantasy and it could be historical fiction. So where do you put it?

Its easier to stick everything in the fiction section and I think thats why they do it.

I'd love a HF section, but I doubt that would ever happen.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 18th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Problem is, there is sci fi that would look a lot like HF, as well as Romance. How are you going to separate those out? (I have a problem anyway with genre bookshelves; whats wrong with just putting all books in as fiction by author name?)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 19th, 2010, 12:51 am

I would love it, but I can see the reasons why they don't. People misclassify books so easily anyway. I was browsing the romance section of a used book store last week and found an old MM Kaye there - and it was one of her mysteries at that. I'm guessing it was the cheesy cover that tipped the scale to assume romance.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue January 19th, 2010, 1:05 am

As a reader, I would love it. As an author, I think it would be detrimental to writers wishing to branch out to a wider audience (as well as sales). Most online stores have their own HF categories. That's how I find most of my HF.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Tue January 19th, 2010, 1:42 am

[quote=""Divia""]

I never understood why some get their own section and while others dont. Although from a librarian perspective there are many books that are crossover titles, for example Twilight of Avalon is a perfect example. It can be fantasy and it could be historical fiction. So where do you put it?

[/quote]

It's kind of an interesting question--I wrote it really thinking of it as historical fantasy, but the publishers decision to market it skews more towards historical fiction. (I think Jules Watson has talked about this with her books, too?)

I would love to see a HF section in bookstores. If I'm just browsing, I tend to go to the genre sections because I know roughly the kind of books I'm going to find there. Fiction is too broad for me to just browse around--so many kinds of books it's overwhelming.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Tue January 19th, 2010, 1:48 am

I believe overall it would be an advantage, because avid HF fans would be more likely to discover other HF authors that way. I find it frustrating to have to wade through shelves and shelves of general fiction, checking spines only for a font, title or picture that might indicate a historical.

At our local library, they actually place a bright pink 'Historical' sticker on the spine, which I appreciate. I have stumbled upon new authors this way.

I can see where cross genre books might pose a dilemma though.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue January 19th, 2010, 1:56 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]As a reader, I would love it. As an author, I think it would be detrimental to writers wishing to branch out to a wider audience (as well as sales). Most online stores have their own HF categories. That's how I find most of my HF.[/quote]

I see your point. Some people may pull a book from the shelf based on the cover and decide to give it a go cause the summary sounds interesting.

[quote=""N. Gemini Sasson""]At our local library, they actually place a bright pink 'Historical' sticker on the spine, which I appreciate. I have stumbled upon new authors this way.

I can see where cross genre books might pose a dilemma though.[/quote]

We do this at my library. The students look for their genre stickers. It does make things easier and I would not be opposed to this in other libraries. I find it very helpful.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue January 19th, 2010, 2:15 am

I love the idea of genre stickers in libraries, especially for students!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue January 19th, 2010, 2:51 am

[quote=""N. Gemini Sasson""]I believe overall it would be an advantage, because avid HF fans would be more likely to discover other HF authors that way. I find it frustrating to have to wade through shelves and shelves of general fiction, checking spines only for a font, title or picture that might indicate a historical. .[/quote]

Well, now that you found us, there is another option - ask for suggestions, or check out some of the threads for some ideas!

Return to “General Discussion”