Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

the old forum is back, but...

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:07 pm

The old forum broke down the day before I went on holiday, so I missed out on all the exciting developements.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:53 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I also firmly believe that were anything to happen in Susan or Marg's lives where they absolutely had to give up their positions as owners, I'm sure they would make arrangements for replacements that wouldn't put us in that same position all over again.[/quote]

That's the thing. They must have known the site would be down and to not have enough kindness in their hearts to email DL and BB so they could post something on their blogs for us poor lost souls. And then to turn around and ban a few people was just a bit too much. Bad customer relations, and without posters what good is a board anyway? It's like the Twighlight zone over there, very very quiet.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu September 11th, 2008, 6:16 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]That's the thing. They must have known the site would be down and to not have enough kindness in their hearts to email DL and BB so they could post something on their blogs for us poor lost souls. And then to turn around and ban a few people was just a bit too much. Bad customer relations, and without posters what good is a board anyway? It's like the Twighlight zone over there, very very quiet.[/quote]

We'd let you know if we couldn't continue the site, never fear.

(I like being called BB, by the way. It's the nickname I'd probably use if I ever developed a taste for Miller Lite and cigarettes.) :)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 11th, 2008, 6:21 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]We'd let you know if we couldn't continue the site, never fear.

(I like being called BB, by the way. It's the nickname I'd probably use if I ever developed a taste for Miller Lite and cigarettes.) :) [/quote]

All right then we'll keep it up, just skip the cigarettes. Not good for you :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu September 11th, 2008, 9:03 pm

It's my understanding that our moderators here were doing all the moderating work at the old forum, but when they repeatedly asked to have the lamentably out-of-date home page updated, they could get no response. Then, with no warning to the moderators or anyone, the old site simply disappeared. It was gone for a couple of weeks, if I recall correctly. I am confident that at our current site here, our moderator/owners would not do that to us without any warning, because they always acted responsibly in the past when they were moderators at the old forum. It's just that now they don't have another party in control who prevents them from taking responsibility.

Cheers, and a big thank-you to DiamondLil and BB!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 12th, 2008, 3:55 am

One of the things that has been troubling me lately. When the old forum disappeared, all I could think of was the man-hours of resources on all aspects of HF, gone down the drain. And of course, I missed the online friendships and chat. The latter is back and then some, as a result of everybody starting this new place and re-stocking it with new posts and salvaged reviews. But I was glad to see the old one come back online, because the resource was no longer completely lost.

If nobody posts on the old forum, eventually it will go away. And all those man-hours with it. Here's my question: do we want that to happen?

And yet, if the forum languishes it will lose all value to the owners, and since they weren't motivated to pay the upkeep when it was hopping, why should they bother now?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 12th, 2008, 11:47 am

I think we've pulled a lot of stuff from the old site and brought it here. Not everything of course, and I"m going to be searching for some old posts tonight and put them here.

Maybe the site will become something else. maybe it will be a fiction site. Or maybe it will die. I pesronally dont see the issue with it cause we ar eall here and we'er always posting so we will post new ideas n stuff.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Discussion”