Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is there anywhere you would not take a book?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon September 7th, 2009, 7:52 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]

I hate those free papers, the mess they make, sometimes the train carriage was ankle-deep in papers :mad: and we keep being told to recycle..... :confused: [/quote]

I had to resort to scavenging for free papers today after...I finished my book while I was in town and didn't have anything to read for the journey back. Worst 40 minutes of the week - and it's only Monday. The free papers were complete rubbish, nothing of interest except the little photo feature on people's pets.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon September 7th, 2009, 9:09 pm

That is when I break down and run around in a panic trying to find a bookstore and a book -- any book! -- to ward off book deprivation syndrome.

A friend gave me a T-shirt with a cat sitting on top of a TBR pile & the message: "Books. Cats. Life is Good."

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon September 7th, 2009, 9:15 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]That is when I break down and run around in a panic trying to find a bookstore and a book -- any book! -- to ward off book deprivation syndrome.
[/quote]

Yes, but I couldn't because of the challenge! I kept telling myself, "this emergency situation justifies buying a book" but somehow managed not to succumb.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:23 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]
A friend gave me a T-shirt with a cat sitting on top of a TBR pile & the message: "Books. Cats. Life is Good."[/quote]

The Edward Gorey one? Got it too, tho its starting to get worn out.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed September 15th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Okay, so today I took a book to a lecture. Not one I was listening to, one I was giving. I thought that if I arrived early I would have something to read, and besides, when I like a book I'm like a dog with a bone, I just love to carry it around. Anyway, I arrived 15 minutes early but wanted to read over my lecture notes, so I didn't really have time to open the book.

But it was just as well I brought it. Because the projector needed something to stand on to be the right height for the screen, and guess what came in handy?? :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed September 15th, 2010, 7:57 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]when I like a book I'm like a dog with a bone, I just love to carry it around. [/quote]

I've never thought about it before, but I guess I'm the same way. I take my book into my office at work every day, even though I know I'm not going to read it.

As to places I'd never take a book -- well, two come immediately to mind. One is church. The other is the bathroom. I go there to do other things, not read. :p I have tried the reading-while-soaking-in-a-nice-hot-bubblebath thing, but it's just not my cup of tea.

M.M. Bennetts

Post by M.M. Bennetts » Wed September 15th, 2010, 7:58 pm

The stables.
Out on a hack.
The shower.
A family party--though I'd like to.
An agricultural or Game show.
The theatre.
To a concert in which I'm performing.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed September 15th, 2010, 8:08 pm

[quote=""Michy""]The other is the bathroom. I go there to do other things, not read. :p I have tried the reading-while-soaking-in-a-nice-hot-bubblebath thing, but it's just not my cup of tea.[/quote]

Books in the bathroom are unhygienic. Magazines, not so much, because they get thrown away. I have read books in the bath, but against my better judgement, and indeed one day I dropped one in. Fortunately it belonged to me and not to a library.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed September 15th, 2010, 9:44 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Okay, so today I took a book to a lecture. Not one I was listening to, one I was giving. [/quote]

Just curious -- what was your lecture about? If I'm being too nosy and you'd rather not answer, that's ok, I understand. :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu September 16th, 2010, 12:00 am

I just went back to the start and read this entire thread, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed at all the places/ways people read! You all are fanatics!! :D

Me, my reading habits are pretty boring by comparison. I am pretty easily distracted by music/noise/people, so I don't do much reading in public places (Starbucks is definitely out!!). I will occasionally read at the library (in the quiet reading room only). Most of my reading is done at home in the evenings and on weekends. I don't watch TV, so after listening to the news, I generally read (or listen to an audio book if I need to work on something). I don't read in bed because I usually fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.

No wonder you all read circles around me! :D

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Maybe not, if I could count on a nurse to have the book of my choice ready for me immediately after I came out of anesthesia.[/quote]

Having been put under anesthesia several times and in varying degrees, I can say that you won't feel like reading immediately afterwards! In fact, probably not for several hours or even the rest of the day.

[quote=""Vanessa""]

I can't read in a car, but I can on a bus, train or plane. Strange really!

[/quote] I'm exactly the same. I get motion sick in a car, but usually not in a plane, bus or train.

Return to “General Discussion”