Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top 10 Myths about the Middle Ages

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon January 26th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Peaches did originate in China, but quickly spread widely into the Eastern countries. The Persians brought peaches from China. From Persia they went to Egypt, where the Romans picked them up. The Romans called them persicum malum, (Persian apple) and in English the word "peach" derives from the Latin name. In Middle English, it melded into "peche", much closer to what we call it today. I don't think that they became common as a fruit for general consumption in England and France, though, until the seventtenth century, but were probably as EC suggests, used for medicinal purposes.

The Crusades did have the effect of exposing the French and English to spices, fruits and vegetables more common in the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
Last edited by annis on Mon January 26th, 2009, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:31 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]ROFL! Thank you Ash. I was a bit confused by the baking of heads in magic boxes, but the rest was perfectly clear.[/quote]

Young un, before blow dryers and such, we sat under dryers at the salon, to dry our hair. These were big helmet things, and worked well enough, tho sometimes the stylist forgot about you and oh it got hot!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 27th, 2009, 1:41 am

[quote=""Ash""]Young un, before blow dryers and such, we sat under dryers at the salon, to dry our hair. These were big helmet things, and worked well enough, tho sometimes the stylist forgot about you and oh it got hot![/quote]

Now, I do believe you have forgotten to mention that lovely pink tape they used to hold those little curly cues (WTH did one call those, female sideburns?) in place on the side of one's face.

Never ever let us return to the days of Farrah Fawcett hairdo's. I couldn't take it again :o :p :) :D ;)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:39 am

Aha! The Persian connection makes perfect sense to me. (And so do the magic baking boxes.)
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:59 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Now, I do believe you have forgotten to mention that lovely pink tape they used to hold those little curly cues (WTH did one call those, female sideburns?) in place on the side of one's face.

Never ever let us return to the days of Farrah Fawcett hairdo's. I couldn't take it again :o :p :) :D ;) [/quote]

Heheh. Oh they've never gone away -- just look at the televangelist's wives on the preachin' channels -- there's one on there with this pinky-orange hair that is about a foot out from all around her head, and the makeup on about an inch thick. Saw that late one night and thought I was having a flash-back.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 27th, 2009, 3:02 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Heheh. Oh they've never gone away -- just look at the televangelist's wives on the preachin' channels -- there's one on there with this pinky-orange hair that is about a foot out from all around her head, and the makeup on about an inch thick. Saw that late one night and thought I was having a flash-back.[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good lord, are they still around??? See what I miss not watching TV?

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue January 27th, 2009, 7:55 pm

[quote=""Misfit""] Never ever let us return to the days of Farrah Fawcett hairdo's. I couldn't take it again :o :p :) :D ;) [/quote]

OMG, I looove Farrah Fawcett type hair, lol!!! What's old is new, I guess! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Don't you mean eww rather than new

chuck
Bibliophile

Hairspray

Post by chuck » Thu January 29th, 2009, 4:39 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Young un, before blow dryers and such, we sat under dryers at the salon, to dry our hair. These were big helmet things, and worked well enough, tho sometimes the stylist forgot about you and oh it got hot![/quote]

Ash...I remember seeing pix. of women sitting in salons with those outer space hot air helmets...I remember the smell of hairspray, and backcombing (ouch)......I remember my high school sweetheart said she couldn't leave the house because she just washed her hair?.........she sat around with a towel around her head most of the night....Do you think Big Hair will ever come back?.....BTW....I haven't been to a barber in years....women are so much better at cutting hair.......Peace

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri January 30th, 2009, 12:45 am

If the clothing that I wore in the 70s was able to come back a few years ago, yeah, big hair will too.

Return to “General Discussion”