Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2020

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

What are you reading? May 2020

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 5th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I’m reading The First Lady by James Patterson with my local book group. The theme was politics and this is the book which won in our poll. It wasn’t my nomination, I must say. However, it’s fast paced and easy to read. Definitely what I would call a beach read, not that we can go to the beach at the moment! :(

I’m also reading The Secrets of Strangers by Charity Norman via Pigeonhole. It’s a hostage situation in a cafe, not by terrorists but by a young man who has issues. It’s very much a character based story. I’m really enjoying it, it’s quite gripping.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

angstytimelord
Scribbler
Currently reading: Penmarric
Interest in HF: I've always loved reading about the past. Historical fiction has been my favorite reading genre since I was in high school. I'm 55 now, and still love it.
Favourite HF book: Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier
Preferred HF: Not really. I'll read anything in the historical fiction genre if it sounds interesting. Though at the moment, I seem to have a weakness for WWI and Gilded Age themes.

Re: What are you reading? May 2020

Post by angstytimelord » Sat May 9th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Just started "Penmarric," by Susan Howatch. My grandma had this book -- and several other Howatch novels as well -- on her shelves when I was a teenager, so I don't know WHY I never read any of them before! But after doing some digging on the books online, and finding out that the stories parallel the history of the Plantagenets, I HAD to get them and settle in to read -- and of course, being under the "stay at home" order during this pandemic is a good time to dig into a huge family saga!

I'm nearly halfway through, and I'm loving it so far. Though, from all the reviews that I've read, so many people seem to love the character of Philip -- and I absolutely cannot STAND him. He's such a little brat! Though, as I haven't gotten to his "part" of the story yet (I'm only in Adrian's part, the third section), he may improve and grow on me. I hope so!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 21st, 2020, 8:43 am

Back in the present day now with Michael Connelly's "Dark Sacred Night".
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill

Elan Morin Tedronai
Currently reading: Hereward by James Wilde
Interest in HF: Bernard Cornwell most certainly.
Favourite HF book: Saxon Stories
Preferred HF: Antiquity and Medieval Times.

Post by Elan Morin Tedronai » Wed July 22nd, 2020, 7:26 pm

Hereward by James Wilde at the moment on my ebook reader. Read already the last Saxon Stories and I'm hooked on good Medieval Times hack'n'slash. Regards to all.

Return to “General Discussion”