Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading March 2020?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

What Are You Reading March 2020?

Post by princess garnet » Tue March 3rd, 2020, 6:48 pm

Starting: The Art of Dying by Ambrose Parry
Set in 1849 Edinburgh, Will Raven returns to the city after studying abroad to be a doctor. He meets with Sarah, a former housemaid now married to a local doctor. There have been a number of deaths in Edinburgh. Will's mentor, the noted Dr. James Simpson, has been accused of a patient's death. Will and Sarah reunite to solve the case.

The previous novel The Way of All Flesh was published in 2018. Ambrose Parry is the pseudonym for husband and wife authors, Chris Brookmyre and Marisa Haetzman.

I've been to Edinburgh twice so it's a tactile experience through the city as a reader.
Last edited by princess garnet on Wed March 4th, 2020, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Re: What Are You Reading March 2020?

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 4th, 2020, 9:39 am

I've just started "Under the Ice" by Rachel Blok, a murder mystery set in St Albans, and "The Midwinter Promise" by Lulu Taylor.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat March 7th, 2020, 9:42 pm

I’ve just finished Dear Mrs Bird by A J Pearce, a story set during WWII about a girl pretending to be an agony aunt for a magazine. I very much enjoyed it. I thought it was delightful and it made me smile.

I’m now reading I Am Dust by Louise Beech, a contemporary psychological thriller set in a theatre where a murder occurred 20 years previously.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Wed March 11th, 2020, 7:10 pm

I’m now reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, a murder mystery starting in 1952.

And via Pigeonhole A Thousand Moons by Sebastian Barry, a story set just after the American Civil War about two men who have ‘adopted’ a Lakota orphan girl.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Lee Evie writes and reads
Currently reading: The Luminaries
Interest in HF: I love reading historical fiction set in Asia, both romantic adventures and dark mysteries, but am also very interested in historical fiction set in the ancient world or the less written about countries or historical eras.
Favourite HF book: My current favourite is The Night Tiger by Yangzse Choo
Preferred HF: Detective stories set in unusual countries or periods, romantic stories set against interesting times, and especially novels set throughout Asia, with a particular interest in Korean history (not so much modern but more ancient), Chinese history, Mongolian and other south-east Asian countries.

Post by Lee Evie writes and reads » Mon March 16th, 2020, 8:51 pm

I am reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, which is set in 1860s Hokitika New Zealand, which is a West coast frontier town during the Gold Rush. I am not very far into it yet, but a mystery is unfolding, involving twelve different characters and slowly the author is providing clues as each character's whereabouts across a certain night gets revealed. It's quite interesting so far.
Has anyone else read it?

I am excited to read historical fiction set in New Zealand ... I don't think there is much of it?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sun March 22nd, 2020, 9:29 am

Hope everyone is keeping well in this most peculiar time. It’s making me feel very anxious.

I’ve just started The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver, a contemporary ‘sliding doors’ type of story.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 27th, 2020, 9:27 am

I've just started Linda Gillard's latest "Hidden", a dual time-frame set between the present day and the aftermath of WW1.

Return to “General Discussion”